Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t be facetious. They’ve already announced a CCR version.
Woot! Take my money!!!!

Seriously, I only need 6 lbs of weight with an AL80 in my 5 mil. I have said it many times, I'm a total wimp when it comes to temperature.

I think there's some interesting technology here, but not practical for mass market. Now I'm rather fastidious on proper weighting so I use my lungs for most of my buoyancy control. I think most people are overweighted as they are trained on their knees, so this may appear to be a solution for them.

I see the niche for people who have bad backs or lack the strength for an AL80 and up to 12 lbs of lead. I'm guessing the centers providing this equipment will dial in the weight.

Then the avelo system will be nothing for me. I am very positive as a swimmer. It is impossible to snorkel down without adding extra weights. In salt water, I can reach very hard 4-5m and then popup up like a ballon.
I need for freediving in freshwater without any suit, just a swimming suit 2.5kg.
For diving in Bali or Bonaire I need 7kg in a 3mm wetsuit, ali backplate. In Egypt, I need 10-11kg. And I am not diving overweighted (I don't do extra overweight checks as a pro I teach in the same gear as I am using on normal dives. And sometimes it can be what I want to use or need to use like sidemount or ccr). I am a person that can do the swimmingtest for divemaster with the 12 minutes staying in 1 place with hands above water without doing anything. :wink: Even in fresh water.
Wow you are very buoyant. In a Scubapro Hydros and my 5mm wetsuit I need 16 lbs of weight. With Avelo I need no weight. lately I have been trying a one lb weight to see if I prefer it. We weight ourselves so that we enter the water with swimmers buoyancy. You could definitely dive Avelo and with much less weight that standard scuba.

Woot! Take my money!!!!

Seriously, I only need 6 lbs of weight with an AL80 in my 5 mil. I have said it many times, I'm a total wimp when it comes to temperature.

I think there's some interesting technology here, but not practical for mass market. Now I'm rather fastidious on proper weighting so I use my lungs for most of my buoyancy control. I think most people are overweighted as they are trained on their knees, so this may appear to be a solution for them.

I see the niche for people who have bad backs or lack the strength for an AL80 and up to 12 lbs of lead. I'm guessing the centers providing this equipment will dial in the weight.
Getting the weight right is very important. Because so little weight is involved a one lb difference can have a profound effect. I certified a PADI Regional Manager on Saturday. We made a 1 lb adjustment between dives and he blissed out.

How much does the Avelo weigh ready to dive (full tank, no additional lead)?

Avelo is Simply Better Scuba. It's been pointed out repeatedly that you don't need this. That is absolutely true. You don't. The Horse Collar BCD of the 70s worked fine. No one needed anything more. I have a friend here on Oahu who dives a vest. It has to be 30 years old. It works. He definitely doesn't need to spend $1,300 on a ScubaPro Hydros. He doesn't and probably won't. But then there's the rest of us who like nice things. We like better buoyancy.

When you go from a Jacket to a BPW you discover sharper Buoyancy Control, and then maybe you try side mount and it's sharper still. Avelo is much sharper. Since your basic buoyancy doesn't change as you go up or down the water column you breathe to fine tune your position.

None of us became divers to learn buoyancy skills. We master buoyancy skills to become great divers. But even great divers have a small conscious focus on buoyancy throughout a dive. With Avelo this is much less. More of our attention and focus is on the world around us. It's simply better scuba.

You don't need Avelo. You don't. But don't be surprised if one day you really want it. :cool:

How much does the Avelo weigh ready to dive (full tank, no additional lead)?
Depends on your reg. I use Deep6 regs. I haven't actually weighed it. It's very close to the weight of a full Aluminum 80. so let's say 40-42 lbs. I might be off. THere's a rumor that the next gen tanks will be significantly lighter.

For comparison a Scubapro Hydros weighs 13lbs. I use another 14-16 lbs of lead. Let's assume 3lbs for regs. That's around 30lbs plus 40lbs for a full aluminum 80. So my Avelo setup is around 28lbs lighter than Standard Scuba. I definitely notice that when I climb the ladder after a dive.

I'm amazed you can fit 7 liters of water in there. Is that really the capacity (or something higher)?

Avelo is Simply Better Scuba. It's been pointed out repeatedly that you don't need this. That is absolutely true. You don't. The Horse Collar BCD of the 70s worked fine. No one needed anything more. I have a friend here on Oahu who dives a vest. It has to be 30 years old. It works. He definitely doesn't need to spend $1,300 on a ScubaPro Hydros. He doesn't and probably won't. But then there's the rest of us who like nice things. We like better buoyancy.
As someone with a financial interest in this sytem, I hope you don't take this as a hostile dialog. I don't doubt that the Avelo system assists in buoyancy control, which is certainly a problem for likely the overwhelming majority of recreational divers. It is not targeted to the technical diving commmunity (twinsets, sidemount, CCR) which is disproportionatily represented on ScubaBoard. For single tank vacation divers, I can see potential for a large number of customers.
When you go from a Jacket to a BPW you discover sharper Buoyancy Control, and then maybe you try side mount and it's sharper still. Avelo is much sharper. Since your basic buoyancy doesn't change as you go up or down the water column you breathe to fine tune your position.
Has anyone used this for sidemount?
None of us became divers to learn buoyancy skills. We master buoyancy skills to become great divers. But even great divers have a small conscious focus on buoyancy throughout a dive. With Avelo this is much less. More of our attention and focus is on the world around us. It's simply better scuba.
I really don't think much about buoyancy at all, and I know I'm not alone. But we are the minority.
You don't need Avelo. You don't. But don't be surprised if one day you really want it. :cool:
For people in my area (Puget Sound) who dive year round and have many tanks, I'm not so sure about this solution. How is the hydro process? For someone with 4 or more tanks, this is quite a pricey system.

Back
Top Bottom