Diving Thailand (Andaman side) mid-late May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NFacey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there, looking for some advice on where best to do our Advanced Open Water. Taking a ferry from Langkawi to Satun on the 14th or 15th and tentatively planning to be in Phuket by the 16th. From what I can tell, we're a bit late in the season for optimal diving in the area but we aren't loving the sound of Koh Tao etc... what would you do?!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
To get your advanced, what would stop you?
The water might be a bit colder, so wear a warmer suit.
Btw I clicked on your posting because you mentioned the Andaman Islands, while Koh tah is in the Andaman Sea, it is not one of the Andaman Islands. Those belong to India and are 400 Miles from Phuket. They can only be reached by air from Chenai in India and are wonderful places to dive!

Thanks for the correction Sphyrnidus and apologies for the confusion! Have edited :)
Out of season sounds like a lot of dive centres there close, which is why I'm asking the question. Not averse to cold water (we are brits living in NZ)!
Will remember the Adaman Islands when we visit Chenai!

What would I do? I'll go to Koh Tao - I think it's a great island and the diving is good too IMO.

Is that a cavalier king Charles spaniël in your avatar? I used to have those. Such cute doggies.
Anyway his question was related to the time of year and dive centres being closed, not especially which place to go to...

Yes Sphyrnidus, it is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, you're quite right.

Back to the question, in mid-late May I would go to the Gulf of Thailand, hence Koh Tao but if the OP wants to go to The Andaman Sea then head south, Phi Phi or Lanta probably.

Thank you both - let me clarify a couple of things as I'm now even more unsure where to head!!
Our aversion to Koh Tao is twofold - we're past the serious partying age so not keen on an Ibiza-esque environment, and also because we've heard the training there can be substandard (large groups etc). Having said that, we are on a long-term trip so budget is an issue and we've heard courses are very cheap there.
And if the weather is likely to be terrible in the Andaman Sea... I assume it affects viz? Or does it also get stormy/trip cancellations etc?
Appreciate advice on any of those points!! Thanks again :)

I am not too fond of diving in the Koh Tao area, but I don't think the course quality is substandard, especially for advanced open water. Groups tend to be a bit bigger than on the Andaman side, but the main thing is that IMO diving on the Andaman Side will be better, year round.

I don't think much of the diving at Koh Tao but the island is beautiful. Nor should you need to worry about partying. It's available if you want but no requirement. Just ensure that your digs aren't near party zone and it should be all good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom