diving texas offshore/nearshore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
Am planning a trip to Corpus on the weekend of June 7 after seeing my neurosurgeon in San Antonio. I am dying to get in the water again, have finally been able to snorkel in the pool for the past two weeks since my neck fracture Dec 26. Would really,really like to go diving but don't want to sink a bunch of money in case I have to abort due to my neck. How choppy is the water near Corpus and is it worth the effort? I will need to don most of my gear in the water to avoid any lifting. Would also like to combine with some fishing if possible, again in case the diving doesn't work out for me. How's the fishing there that time of year? My husband has always wanted to try redfishing. Is there any decent snorkeling since I know I can do that? If nothing else at least we might be able to relax and have a nice shrimp eating weekend. Thanks! Tracy:) :doctor:

Originally posted by tracydr
How choppy is the water near Corpus and is it worth the effort? I will need to don most of my gear in the water to avoid any lifting.

Well, the area around Corpus has a LOT of beach entry points (although I've not heard of any interesting diving in any particular spots). Typically, on the Gulf side you can expect regular 3' surf. Nothing unswimmable, but a water don might require some buddy assistance in keeping your gear from floating off.

I'm trying to remember where the jetties are at around Corpus. Getting in/out of the water to them from the beach might be somewhat challenging (I never tried), but it would probably be some of the more interesting shore diving around (due to the marine life).

Would also like to combine with some fishing if possible, again in case the diving doesn't work out for me. How's the fishing there that time of year? My husband has always wanted to try redfishing.

The fishing is always good :) Including the redfishing, IIRC. There's also Lake Corpus, with awesome fishing.

[/b]
Is there any decent snorkeling since I know I can do that? If nothing else at least we might be able to relax and have a nice shrimp eating weekend. Thanks! Tracy:) :doctor: [/B]

A native might have more info, but there were some shallows near the ship channel that we used to catch shrimp and crabs at. Only place I know of without a whole lot of chance of inhaling some water :)

Hope you have fun,
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom