Diving Technology: Then, Now and in the Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCBA cylinders for firefighters are CG and weigh so little. They hold 5000 PSI and carry breathing air for 45 min- 1 hr. I think the tankweighs in at less than 7 lbs. They don upside down on your back. When I was a rescue tech, I wanted to try one in the pool, but never had the ballz to sneak one outa the refinery gate.. LOL

SCBA cylinders for firefighters are CG and weigh so little. They hold 5000 PSI and carry breathing air for 45 min- 1 hr. I think the tankweighs in at less than 7 lbs. They don upside down on your back. When I was a rescue tech, I wanted to try one in the pool, but never had the ballz to sneak one outa the refinery gate.. LOL
I thought of that but the only problem is they are probably too floaty to be used for scuba.

I was certified in 1980 and since getting back into the last few years, most of the big changes have been evolutionary. Wetsuit material has improved a lot in 30 years. Computers are a huge improvement (no more square profiles) and I almost always forgot to set my watch bevel. BCDs evolved into a tool to correct and fine tune trim (I started diving when the first jacket BCDs were coming on the market) and power inflators were optional. Although I haven't bothered with it yet, the advent of mixed gases has expanded the range and safety of diving.

The future is going to be in affordable and RELIABLE CCR. When they can be bought and maintained by the average diver, dropping it off for its annual servicing and be as safe and fool proof as open circuit, that will be huge.

Suit tech is getting better all the time. Drysuits are much more widespread than they were and much more affordable.

Some one else mentioned the internet earlier and I have to say that is another big one, maybe the biggest. When I started out diving, you got all your information from a few books magazines, the LDS and the few other divers you knew. The internet has made the amount of information available to the average diver almost limitless. I use Google Earth to scout for new dive spots, check tide and weather forecasts, access charts, read product reviews and debate the pluses and minuses of different gear and philosophies with other divers. Knowledge is power and the Internet has Empowered divers more than any other technology.

In terms of recreational diving, I don't think we can go much further. I learned to dive in 2009 so I haven't experienced some of the kit those that have been diving longer have. Like many, I learned with the typical recreational set-up with a jacket style BCD. When I started to dip my toe in technical diving, my kit got a lot more basic. Okay, there is more equipment but the kit I use has no unneccesary thrills. I do not think the typical recreational kit needs to evolve much mure, however, manufacturers will all want to produce the latest must-have gadget. There have been some nice little touches, such as OLED technology as mentioned but nothing that I think has changed the way we dive.

I do like some emergency kit, such as the EPIRB and diver carried VHF radios. Underwater GPS would be nice and these buddy/shot line locators look interesting, but I don't think I'd bother.

Liquid breathing / artificial gills would be interesting but probably not going to be a reality anytime soon.

The future is going to be in affordable and RELIABLE CCR. When they can be bought and maintained by the average diver, dropping it off for its annual servicing and be as safe and fool proof as open circuit, that will be huge.

I find the concept of simple CCRs equally interesting and disturbing. I am a recently qualified IANTD Mod 1 CCR diver and the prod owner of an AP Evolution+. The rebreater is complex, but at the sime time logical in operation. On the Mod 1 course, I was taught about the voting logic of the controllers, how the cells provide information to the controllers and how to interpret the raw data. My instructor often refered to being the 'thinking diver' and reminded us on several occasions the rebreather does not have a brain.

A lot would have to go wrong with the rebreather before I could not use it - I can deal with problems such as a solenoid stuck open or failing to operate, and only a few faults would need me to completely bail out. I would much prefer to know how to identify and handle problems than trust something because it's considered reliable.

Here is my 1st dive light I bought it used in 1989, It worked like a charm but it was about as bright as a candle
View attachment 156723

If the switch still works, I will be posting a conversion giving 350 lumens with about a 2 degree angle beam, it's been great on a muddy lake bottom even when when someone puts up a plume.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Digital photography is probably the greatest change since I started diving (only 1996, so not that long ago). The ability to see what you're shooting underwater and not have to go through film development.

I am reasonably happy with the cost, quality and availability of equipment.

I'd perhaps like a drysuit that wore like today's most rugged cordura and had the flexibility of not wearing a drysuit.

I'd like to see an in line CO2 monitor for my rEvo.

More though, I'd like to see the evolution of decompression theory advance to less of a "best guess". I believe we do more deco than is necessary and in the wrong places, but I lack the ability to prove it. Someday someone will and we'll be able to make more educated decisions in our diving profiles.

I'd like to see diving become more exclusive as well - the state of the oceans is shameful. Vacation divers who flail about breaking off coral, touching and kicking everything in sight don't help. Not sure how to do that one, but that's not really what this thread is about.

A lot would have to go wrong with the rebreather before I could not use it - I can deal with problems such as a solenoid stuck open or failing to operate, and only a few faults would need me to completely bail out. I would much prefer to know how to identify and handle problems than trust something because it's considered reliable.

I wonder if that was the case with earlier cars? Yet today lots of people drive who aren't 'grease monkey's.' While the knowledge & skill to handle problems is good, it's not always present or practical.

It's kind of like learning to fly a plane in case the pilot & copilot ever both drop dead of a heart attack, and you're a passenger.

I'd like to see rebreathers get that idiot-proof. But I think that's a long way off.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom