Diving suggestions for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks you guys for all of your help! It seems like the PG/anilao combo seem the best right now. Anilao seems quite expensive for the quotes that I've gotten so far and was wondering if anyone knew how to get a hold of the folks at MakDiver/San Jose bootcamp place. I tried the email posted on their facebook page but have had no response. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

I use Kiko at MAKDiver every year when I go to the PI. He has a great shop in Mabini/Anialo. good prices on rental gears, much better than the resorts. He can arrange any sort of diving or instruction you might need. His San Jose dive Camp just opened last year and is geared toward the budget diver. Rates are low.
He also is affliated with several of the resorts if you choose to stay elsewhere.
Try: kiko.quinto@divefirm.com or Kiko Quinto <frdlg@hotmail.com
Good luck.
Can't wait, April-May, off to Anialo and Puerto Gallera/Small LaLaguna

Thanks blue steal for the quick response!

Try Dive n Trek (Anilao). They offer unlimited air and food fills (buffet breakfast lunch and dinner). If you have your own equipment and don't go boat diving what they quote is everything you need to spend. But you will have to boat dive eventually to see all the spots. Renting a boat is more expensive in Anilao especially if you are in a small group. You have to rent the entire boat and they charge per destination. In PG there are boats who offer a per person rate.

@hpot

i do not agree with all what was said here. considering that you are a newbi to diving. go to pg and stay there the whole time. if you have the dow to spend stay at el galleon/asia divers. you will not get bored at all and besides that anilao is about the same (just across the cannel).

dived anilao myself and will dive again (diventrek). to start with during the week you are mostlikely the only guest. so it's better to go there in a group or else you feel pretty much lonley. and on top as you have found out by yourself it comes not cheep. diving there during the week i would rate it more for experienced divers with no need for party.

for that short time of vacation stay in pg. it offers you all what you need for "live time" vacation. diving the whole day long with many different dive sites, the point as the best bar in town and just around the corner is sabang which caters to all your needs during night time (if you can ease yourself off the point)

rjjj111
quite some travelling involved in your trip. after pg, donsol and subic why not put some diving in in davao. its a funny and friendly place. i will head down there myself in about end of march/april.

still not tired about travelling? try general santos (i have not been there but will check it out this time) or fly back to cebu. there you have many dive spots reachable in a few hours - and no, moalboal you don't need to go. but malapasqua, cabilao, dauin, sipaly or southern leythe?
i'm afraid you run out of time ;-((((((((

I would suggest Anilao for close to Manilla. We just dived with Planet Dive - great experience and the loveliest and most passionate about their area folk. Anilao diving is awesome and diverse - whatever you are looking for (either big or small), you can find it there. It would be politically good to go too to support the local dive industry and fish wardens who are trying their damnedest to protect the local area. Your cash can help fund them to prevent a repeat of the latest whale shark killing there so go there, enjoy yourself and do something for the underwater paradise we all love.

I would also recommend Bohol - its a pretty easy travel from Cebu and Cebu is a quick flight from Manilla. We went to Bohol Divers Club and they have great hire gear, great service, a great beachside bar and are totally great folk...

Enjoy!

@coo

pg or anilao - timewise almost the same for a tourist. pg maybe 30min more.

should we (divers) pay a high amount of money just because the whole operation in anilao is geared for weekend divers? my answer is simply no. if they want to make this desination more attraktive to vacationers rather than the weekend crouds from manila then they have to come up with different products. anilao during the week is something for experienced divers which can handle all these situations by themselfs. in my opinion not recommended for just a beginners vacation.
at diventrek they will supply free air - yes. but would they allow him to dive solo? no way and not recommended for hpot anyway. so they gladly arrange a dive guide for you which of course you have to pay too. you end up seeing about the same as in pg on a much higher rate and feeling very lonley in the evenings.

to say you are prone to a depression and drinking to many smb's and thus are not able to dive the next day ist exaggerated :cheers:

im not saying anilao is not good diving. been there twice and will certainly go again. but never for general diving. it's to complicated and to expensive. for a beginner pg offers much more.

why would you fly to cebu and take one of these stinky ferrys if you can fly direct from manila to tacbilaran (bohol)? bohol (panglao/alona beach) is nice for a beginner too. but considering hpot has only 2 weeks max. one looses 3 days of diving or more, transfering from pg to bohol and back to manila airport.

i would stay just in pg. if he has more time he will come back and venture out. that diving in the philies is good or even outstanding he will realise the first time he has his head under water in pg

Thanks you guys for all of your help! It seems like the PG/anilao combo seem the best right now. Anilao seems quite expensive for the quotes that I've gotten so far and was wondering if anyone knew how to get a hold of the folks at MakDiver/San Jose bootcamp place. I tried the email posted on their facebook page but have had no response. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

I would suggest Anilao for close to Manilla. We just dived with Planet Dive - great experience and the loveliest and most passionate about their area folk. Anilao diving is awesome and diverse - whatever you are looking for (either big or small), you can find it there. It would be politically good to go too to support the local dive industry and fish wardens who are trying their damnedest to protect the local area. Your cash can help fund them to prevent a repeat of the latest whale shark killing there so go there, enjoy yourself and do something for the underwater paradise we all love.

I would also recommend Bohol - its a pretty easy travel from Cebu and Cebu is a quick flight from Manilla. We went to Bohol Divers Club and they have great hire gear, great service, a great beachside bar and are totally great folk...

Enjoy!

Agree with Coo,

Planet Dive is my favorite in terms of price, shore dive (Twin Rocks), and people who run the place. They are extremely passionate about protecting the reefs in Anilao. I also think the place is one of the best in terms of quality and price in Anilao. Pricing is similar to DivenTrek. FYI, they have a website with contact info. I don't work there but I do dive there.

Regards,

I just came back from PG and Anilao (3 hour drive which the resorts will come get you in Manila for a small price) plus PG is a 50 minute added boat on the Asia Divers boat):
- Dived 4 days in PG with Asia Divers and stayed with their affilate El Galion in their private villas. Good food, good diving and geared for expats (europeans and americans). I did not see any convents but as you are traveling alone then check out Hammerhead cafe (yep pros but cheaper than a girlfriend). Diving is pretty good but can have tough currents but the dive guides will be with you thru that. Ask for Jamie as he is a former UK Navy with good DM/Instructor skills.

- Dived 3 days at Anilao with Dive-n-Trek (noted above). Ok food, very nice people, low cost (my view), easy diving as you are a newbie that is ok. I hired divemaster Conrad who took me to all the small and exotic fish (ask to go to "secret bay" not much of a secret but saw mimic octopus, blue ringed octopus and many ghost pipe fish and frog fish (way cool) and Twin Ricks Reserve is excellent site.

- I will do Coron wrecks on next trip.

- I previously dived Dumagetti and Apo Island which is a 45 minute domestic flight from Manila and very nice diving there.

very nice diving, safe and fun people.

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom