Diving suggestions for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hpot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I am a newbie diver(only 12 logged dives) who is thinking about making a solo trip to the Philippines for a diving vacation and it's just crazy how many options there are here! I recently dove in Cozumel and had an exceptional time and so here I am.

I have about 1.5-2 weeks to dive from mid March and would really appreciate any suggestions how many days you would spend where. I was thinking about flying into Manila as opposed to Cebu but haven't yet decided. It seems like PG is an obvious destination but which other places should I consider? How many days should I spend in PG? I've tried to read as much as I can on the forum and it's been so useful. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

For easy dives try Anilao in Batangas south of Manila. You could try Dive n Trek resort where there are a variety of profiles available, and all are shore entry dives. They also provide unlimited air fills. Prices are very reasonable too. The good PG dives require some experience. One thing missing from Anilao is the nightlife.

If you're only there for 2 weeks, try to cut down travelling; it reduces your fun and diving time!:D if you want to stay in 1 spot for the entire 2 weeks (which is fine, you'll never cover all the dive sites of one destination in that time), any of the major destinations will provide you with mind boggling diving. PG, Anilao, Moalboal, Dumaguete, Malapascua, Bohol, etc...

If you,d like to try 2 different destinations (for variety sake), then I'd heartily suggest 1 week in Anilao, then another week in PG. PG is only a 30 minute cab ride followed by 1 hour ferry from Anilao, you not much travelling. You'll get to see/dive both sites without spending a full day (or more) in transit... If you don't mind cutting down your dive time (increasing travelling), then there are lots of other combinations you can pull off. I just find that the PIs are far (it takes me more than 24h travel time for me to get there), so I want to maximise fun time if I'm going...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

@codman can you help me out too?

I am going to PG for 5 nights, donsol for a 4 day trip, i was thinking of going to subic for a whale-dolphin encounter, and 3 days in Davao for a friends wedding. i am unsure what to do with the rest of my time....any suggestions?

RJ, if I can, I'd be happy to. But you need to be more explicit in what you are looking for. All I recall is you like big pelagic fish...

What are you looking to do with your time in the Philippines? Dive as much as possible? Dive and party? Dive and visit? Do you want to move around? Saty in 1 or 2 places and get the vibe of the place? How much more time do you have? When in your trip are you heading south to Davao (that will decide a lot of your plans).

Give us as much detailed info on what you want and what is already planned, and what you have left for time and budget. That will be a good start for the PPDers to help you out!:coffee:

@codman can you help me out too?

I am going to PG for 5 nights, donsol for a 4 day trip, i was thinking of going to subic for a whale-dolphin encounter, and 3 days in Davao for a friends wedding. i am unsure what to do with the rest of my time....any suggestions?

with only 2 weeks the initary you planned is very rushed, with PG 5 nights you have already consumed about 7 days taking into account getting to and from PG back to Manila and flying to davao, re your flight back i assume you will fly out from manila so considering DO NOT FLY time. I think PG and davao are prettyy much your choices

Dive and PARTY!!!! my budget is open. no limits within reason.....i am on vacation right? haha

i do not have any idea when i am going to be in which place, that part is wide open. i can also schedule my friends wedding in davao, during any part of my trip by adjusting my departure time from the USA.

I am planning on going to PG for 5 nights, i want to return to Donsol for 2 days of snorkeling and 2 days of travel time. i want to go to Subic to swim with the dolphins & whales also go to the zoobic for tigers, i am thinking 3 days for subic, 2 if i squeeze everything in. in Davao for my friends wedding, 3 days there, maybe 2 if i am lucky.

other than that i am wide open. i have thought about Apo Island or Bohol.

i do plan to fly from Legaspi to either Bohol, Davao or Apo Island locations to save travel time there. i should have about 19 days in PI.

any suggestions?

Rj, if you want to party that much, stay in PG (Sabang). You'll be partying every night and diving every day (well, maybe not every day due to hangovers:coffee:). I don't think you'll find that kind of nightlife in any of the other good dive destinations. The other places will be much quieter I believe... Other PPDers will surely confirm this (or make me look like a monkey's uncle:dork2:)...

Dive and PARTY!!!! my budget is open. no limits within reason.....i am on vacation right? haha

i do not have any idea when i am going to be in which place, that part is wide open. i can also schedule my friends wedding in davao, during any part of my trip by adjusting my departure time from the USA.

I am planning on going to PG for 5 nights, i want to return to Donsol for 2 days of snorkeling and 2 days of travel time. i want to go to Subic to swim with the dolphins & whales also go to the zoobic for tigers, i am thinking 3 days for subic, 2 if i squeeze everything in. in Davao for my friends wedding, 3 days there, maybe 2 if i am lucky.

other than that i am wide open. i have thought about Apo Island or Bohol.

i do plan to fly from Legaspi to either Bohol, Davao or Apo Island locations to save travel time there. i should have about 19 days in PI.

any suggestions?

Rj, if you want to party that much, stay in PG (Sabang). You'll be partying every night and diving every day (well, maybe not every day due to hangovers:coffee:). I don't think you'll find that kind of nightlife in any of the other good dive destinations. The other places will be much quieter I believe... Other PPDers will surely confirm this (or make me look like a monkey's uncle:dork2:)...
the party scene in sabang is for you if you like convents...

pmslrg_G10072.jpg

:wink:

I woudnt travel that much for such a short stay. Think PG, anilao and maybe Coron is a nice combo

PG nightlife is 20% bars, 80%prostitues.. Coron got no nightlife..never been to anilao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom