Diving Stonington Point, CT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, I am planning to join the Scuba Shack drive and dive this Friday at Stonington Point and was looking to see if anyone else has plans to do the same?

Also, if you have dived there in the past, I'd like to know what your experience was as this is my first time at this site.

Here's the link to Scuba Shacks calendar of drive and dives if you want more info:
Drive & Dive | Scuba Shack - GUE & PADI Training - Diver Equipment - Connecticut

Thanks!
Faith

I've only done a few dives there so definitely haven't seen everything but what i've seen is shallow and sandy. Max depth so far is 19 feet which was probably at high tide. The stone jetty on the north end of the beach is nice to swim around - as you'd expect there's more life around it than over the sand. There are some random large stones here and there out past the swim platform and south of the "north end" jetty.

If you've ever been to Wetherill, the conditions aren't terribly different, though there's less life a bit less viz and not as much rocks. If you have ever dived over the sand in between the two sides of the cove at the end of the boat ramp, you should know what to expect.

We've always gone north after swimming out from the beach in Stonington - I don't know what you'd find if you went south

Thanks for the info. To be honest, diving off NE shores, I don't really have high expectations. Im happy if I see a lobster. For me right now it's mostly about the practice and just getting in the water.

I've gone there 2 times there's a lot of small comb jellyfish, lots of crabs flounders, starfish, I saw 1 anemone, hermits and lots of small fish...I haven't seen a lobster yet....good thing is that to get to get in the water is really easy no rocks to climb on or difficult paths...viz when I went was about 10' that was in the bigining of this month

I dove there once a year or two ago. At the time I considered it a bust, but I doubt we were where we needed to be. Talking to the locals I hear that it was deeper prior past Hurricanes shifting the sands and making it shallower. I dove there a few times in the late 80s and it was deeper as I remember it. If you go North of the beach (to the right of the entry) I understand its shallow and muddy, but a good spot for bottle hunting. If you go left off of the beach. and around the south tip of the point, it gets deeper and more interesting. New England Dive tells me there is a Tuesday afternoon dive twice a month, not positive about the weeks (1st and 3rd?)

Well....dove Stonington today. Visibility was non-existent. Saw a lobster, couple crab, horseshoe crab and a lot of particulate in the water. I didn't enjoy it very much as a result. I'd be hard pressed to dive it again. On the plus side, I had a great buddy, he's an instructor with Scuba Shack and I felt very comfortable diving with him in a very challenging environment for me. He did the navigating and I stuck to him like white on rice. Max depth was 16 ft, temp was 64 degrees. 40 min bottom time. I was comfortable in. 5mm, no hood or vest this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom