Diving Speigel Grove without Nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should not worry. As I said Spiegel Grove (and Vandy but I never done it) can be easily done ant shallower depths. The layout of the ship is such that you can dive 3+ dives in a row each shallower than previous.

jbob65 - In common lingo, here is only one safety stop and that is the 15 foot stop. The additional stops you are asking about are generally referred to as "deep stops." Their common use in recreational diving is a relatively recent thing and there is some debate as to their effectiveness. I believe there was a discussion in Alert Diver where most of the experts on the panel recommended to stick to the tables.

I don't know how you fair with Narcosis, but air is doable at 120'. So I doubt that this will be a problem. As has already been mentioned, you don't have to dive to 120' to enjoy the dive.

Just a reminder to project your air consumption at depth and ensure you have ample air for the dive. Have fun!

I agree with the other posters, don't plan on a 120' dive. That being said, your 80' deep stop is too deep. A quick look with at your dive with V-Planner shows that you don't begin to off gas until 64', so a first stop at 60' makes more sense. If you're looking at doing Pyle stops, you might add a second one at 40'. This is leaving aside the question of whether deep/Pyle stops are beneficial for air dives, and there has been some debate about that.

Not very many male divers with less than 24 dives will last long enough on their tank to make it to the NDL limit of air, so planning to make a 10 minute stay at 120' is pretty optimistic.

For quick recreational dives, deep stops are not something to worry about IMHO.

The charter operator likely rents computers for at the most $10 per trip. Renting a computer would allow you to make each dive a multilevel dive and spend more time underwater.

Not to steal the thread but, while we are on the subject............

I been thinking about going to Key Largo in October and renting a boat for a few days to do some diving. I usually just go out to the reefs and tie off on a bouy.

If I go out to the Speigel Grove are there plenty of mooring bouys to tie off on? (Perhaps some of the locals can answer)
I was on a charter dive boat and dove the Speigel about a month after it was sunk but have not dove it since.

Last edited:
Well when I took my advance open water with a PADI instructor he told me these were the safety stops we would make we did a 120' wreck.We stopped at 80' did a 2 minute stop then again at around 60' another 2 minutes final stop was around 20' for 3 minutes.

Weird. Can you contact your instructor to ask where he concocted that profile? Might be worthwhile. Without context, I can't comment other than to say it's a weird profile. Maybe he was just testing your comfort in midwater.

In any case, ive never done the Grove, so I'll recuse myself from the discussion of specifics. Look carefully at the posts above suggesting you make it a shallower dive. For my dollar, there isn't much out there worth a 10 minute bottom time.

I want to thank everyone for their input on this matter.

Thanks again
will take everyone's suggestions and put good use to it.

jbop65 if you are using recreational tables you suppose to make a ascent to the surface with the exception of the 3 to 5 min saftey stop and not make those deep stops. The 80 and 60ft stops are adding to your bottom time because the recreational planner does not account for those stops.

Personally... I think with less than 25 dives, you should seriously consider gaining more experience before making a difficult dive like the Spiegel Grove.

Back
Top Bottom