Diving, Spanish-speaking, new..where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougvo

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend is about to finish her open water certification and we're trying to think of a one week destination for some diving over Thanksgiving weekend. I'm all abou the diving, but she also wants to work on her near-fluent Spanish and enjoy some topside attractions while I overdose on my diving. Here's the catch...I've recently been to Bay Islands and Belize, and she's recently been to Costa Rica and Equador. What does that leave us for options in Central/South America (better for us from San Francisco for quicker travel times). We've been thinking about Cozumel but I'm not one for over-touristed traps, or perhpas Cuba. Any feedback (sites, dive operations, cheap eco-friendly places to stay) or other ideas?

thanks...
doug

I like Roatan more than Cozumel, but the latter is good. If you haven't been there and dived the drift, you're missing something! And while most there speak English well, they're all Spanish speaking. I go to eat, sleep, and dive, but there is plenty for the non-diver to do, or - for her as a newbie, good starter diving and dry time attractions if you dive more than her.

Cuba is a totally different story. Not legal, you know. Some Americans will go to Cancun, then to Cuba, then get busted by the State Department when they get back.

If you run All Forum searches (sometimes people post in different forums) on both, you'll get exposed to everything.

:cheers: DON

Try Cabo San Lucus, in the Baja. Good diving, Mexican Spanish, night life, and just down the coast from you. :mean:

I would suggest Baja, too. If you don't want "too touristy" though, avoid Cabo San Lucas and check out the La Paz area, on the Sea of Cortez. Or if you do Cabo, I would suggest renting a car and getting out and exploring some. Baja California Sur is a beautiful, wild and natural place- and in November you should still have nice warm water and good vis.
Suerte!

Back
Top Bottom