Diving Southern Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonnyspecial

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Japan - Kyushu - Kagoshima Prefecture, especially
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Since visitors to Japan as well as residents living further north sometimes ask about diving in southern Japan, I thought I'd post a quick hello.:D

My name is Jonathan Rankine, and I'm a 2** CMAS Instructor.

I instruct/guide part-time on Okinoerabu [o-kee-no-eh-ra-bu], Kagoshima Prefecture, 2 islands up from Okinawa, Okinawa Prefecture.

On my island, we dive with migrating whales in Winter, swim in big-eye jack tornadoes in Spring, mantas, GTs, & tuna in Summer, and sharks year-round!
I've been in Japan for 13 years, speak Japanese fluently, and am the only native English speaker providing year-round service in Kyushu (Okinawa, of course, is a different story!).

I mainly dive in Kagoshima and Miyazaki, and the Nansei Shoto Island group and Tokara Island group (both in Kagoshima Pref.) are world class and in pristine condition. There are great ferry island hopping as well as flight options, so I hope some of you come down and see us!

My shop's English page:
Diving at Okinoerabu Island / Mugamuga Diving

Cheers,
Jonathan :wink:

Hey Jonathan... Thanks for letting us know! It's awesome to know there is another great diving option closer to mainland. I know my friends in Kagoshima will be happy to hear that! Thanks again, looking forward to checking out your operation.
-Dusty

hey guys, have any of you dived in Kagoshima? I hear there is diving at the foot of Sakurajima, but I cant find any info on dive sites etc, plus any English Dive Schools in Kagoshima? Actually is there much diving in Kagoshima or does everyone hop on ferries and dive around the islands? thanks :)

Hi Johnasan
for the site info on Sakurajima, look here.
(Sorry it's in Japanese only)

Looking through PADI Japan's site, I found this "English available" page.
You'll be able to find scuba shops catering to English speaking customers.

Hope this helps
Kaza

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, the PADI site is good as it shows the dive sites around the Sakurajima, pity though there is no photos of the dives - I have also been looking at Tanegashima the island seems to be more geared up for divers than Kagoshima city, would I be correct in asuming that the island get more diving tourists than Kagoshima city? Have you dived around there?

Cheers

John

by the way love your kit : DiveRite Transplate+Rec wing :)

Hi John,
good to know I've been some help to you. As for diving in the Kagoshima area, I haven't had the opportunity; sorry I can't help you here.

If you're interested in finding photos of dives, use the next keywords without quotations on google images. I'm willing to bet 10quid that keywords in Japanese will yield more results :D
"桜島 ダイビング 写真" (sakurajima diving photo)
"鹿児島 ダイビング 写真" (kagoshima diving photo)
"種子島 ダイビング 写真" (tanegashima diving photo)

I hope this helps.
& thanx for your compliments on my rig :wink:

Kaza

Always glad to see interest in Kagoshima and Kyushu!

As I always have a link to our dive shop listed in my signature, you'll be able to see our English homepage. I provide year-round diving services in English - the only dive shop in Kyushu to offer this.

I've dived with some of the shops listed by PADI as providing services in English, and it is hit and miss, to be honest. The shops' poor written or absent English homepages are always a good clue... I usually end up speaking Japanese because when diving, clear communication is paramount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom