Diving South France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot, that's really nice to hear :) We plan to dive on the Atlantic coast, and also in the mediterranean.

Just a thought, what exposure protection do you have?

Atlantic water temp (example La Rochelle) Weather Averages for La Rochelle, France

Mediterranean sea temp (example st tropez) Weather Averages for Saint Tropez, France

Whilst the surface temperature in the Med. is 2 or 3 degrees more, the differences are more pronounced at depth, with a drysuit being nice below 20 - 25m in the Atlantic, and not really necessary even down at 40m in the Med.

Most divers I know have at least a 5mm full suit, for the Med. However for the Altantic, a 7mm, or perhaps 5mm semi-dry or even a drysuit is more often seen.

Jon

The only caveat that I could find was that you ought to have insurance in case of a chamber ride. Apparently they will charge you if you do not have a European social security card, and even then, they might charge.

The European card covers a part of the medical fees (which is payed by the "Sécurité sociale", the French State medical insurance, for French people) but European travelers may have some expenses to assume. An travel or diving insurance may be useful.

Most divers I know have at least a 5mm full suit, for the Med. However for the Altantic, a 7mm, or perhaps 5mm semi-dry or even a drysuit is more often seen.

Some divers wear a drysuit even in Mediterranean during summer.

The European card covers a part of the medical fees (which is payed by the "Sécurité sociale", the French State medical insurance, for French people) but European travelers may have some expenses to assume. An travel or diving insurance may be useful.

It's not our Chér "Secu" that pays. They actually send the bill to your home country. You do however get the same financial treatment as the French (ie you pay the same as us frogs).

So to see a GP count on paying the doctor between 26 and 28€ (but can be upto 70 or so for weekends and at night). You are then supposed to claim this back from the French state. The French Secu would pay you back (embarrassingly I can't remember how much! - I think its 23 to 26&#8364:wink:, and then claim this money from your home country. Having never taken a chamber ride, I can't tell you how much it would cost, or how much would be reimbursed, so I would have insurance that covers it!

It is explained here:

EU - European Health insurance Card - Your Europe

Jon

PS Dry suit in the med can be HOT, although appreciated when you get down to 40 or 45m

You know you have been doing too much diving when you instantly recognize the "porquerolles" photo on the ediving web site of Scuba Tom as the Donator wreck.

The web site look like a good idea, you just have to get as many dive centers as possible to sign up to it!

Jon

I used my dry suit year round when diving out Juan Les Pins and Toulon. I would get a bit warm just before jumping in the water but after that it was great. In the winter months I wore a hood and gloves. My dive partners were always jealous.

It's not our Chér "Secu" that pays. They actually send the bill to your home country. You do however get the same financial treatment as the French (ie you pay the same as us frogs).

I may have been inaccurate. The european card exempts strangers to pay what our dear and lovely Sécu reimburses us.

I may have been inaccurate. The european card exempts strangers to pay what our dear and lovely Sécu reimburses us.

This is a common misconception.

You are just treated as a local. So somebody coming to France is treated in the same way as the French, and they have to pay the doctor, and then go to the CPAM themselves and get reimbursed.

If a French person goes to the UK for example, then as for a Brit living in the UK treatment is free at the point of service (and the paperwork goes on behind the scenes). We have had this a few times over the last two or three years with my parent coming to France, and our daughter going to the UK.

HTH

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom