Diving South Florida (FLL / MIA / PBI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eotm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have ~4 days off in the first week of October and am trying to plan a dive trip. Was originally considering the Caribbean but given hurricane risk and flight length / limited time thought South Florida might be a better option.

I have AOW + Nitrox and 50+ dives, most recent Dec 2015. Relatively comfortable with most conditions, with the possible exception of scary currents. Like my water to be pleasantly warm (3-5mm wetsuit weather). Actually did my cert dives in West Palm Beach 5+ years ago, but remember it wasn't spectacular.

I usually am able to take one dive vacation a year, so want to make it count. Questions are:
1) How good are the dives in the area. If you were flying and staying in a hotel anyway with the primary purpose of diving, would you say Cayman/Turks & Caicos/Cozumel offer better enough diving to go there instead
2) How is the water temp, compared to Caribbean sites? What about vis (understand weather dependent, but that will be true anywhere) - I take photos and want to use this trip to continue to develop my underwater photography skills (might get a strobe)
3) For the good dives (notably the wrecks), is the degree of difficulty going to be pushing what is safe/comfortable given my experience? I am generally up for a challenge, but don't want to be stupid not be able to enjoy myself or take photos (I dive for pleasure/photos and get my adrenaline kicks on roller coasters etc.).
4) Dive shop / operator recommendations?

Boston based so want to take advantage of JetBlue's fare sale (ends today so would need to book ASAP). Thanks!

Jupiter and WPB will be drift dives, for the most part. You are highly likely to see Goliath Grouper, sharks and turtles which are great for photos but you'll be drifting which makes photography more challenging. At a few wreck sites like the MG 111, Zion Train or Mizpah, you can drop into the sand or on the lee side of a wreck and goliath grouper might come to you if you're not flailing about. The wrecks are generally in 90 feet or less in northern Palm Beach County. If you like macro photography, try Blue Heron Bridge. Vis isn't always great but you don't need great vis when you're taking shots of little things. Consider Boynton Beach too: the Castor wreck is known to attract lots of goliaths.

Vis can vary from 25 to 100+ feet. Usually it is 60 feet or better. Temps are similar to the Bahamas. A 3MM is good for many people until December.

I like FLL/Pompano diving too, but your less likely to see sharks and other big marine life.

Think about the Keys too. Lots and lots of tropical fish are there and make for good photos.

For Palm Beach County, check out Jupiter Dive Center (my favorite), Captain Sl8er, Stuart Scuba (these are Jupiter based): Narcosis, Scuba Adventures, Scuba Club, Sandy's Sunday (WPB area): Underwater Explorers or Splashdown (Boynton): Conch Republic Divers (my favorite in the Keys), Rainbow Reef, Horizon, Quiessece (all in upper Keys)

Last edited:
everything he said (^^^^^)....enjoy your trip.

Pretty much agree with sportxlh. I love south Florida diving; plenty of variety for almost any interest.

Being you're getting back in the water after a 10-month hiatus from diving I would suggest you start off with a couple warm-up dives off of Pompano Beach. Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale Tends to have less current, good visibility and lots of interesting sites in the 40 to 90-foot range. Try Parrot Island, American Dream or Pompano Dive Center as resources.

This time of year you are still likely to see some of the larger Goliath Grouper hanging around the wrecks off of Boynton Beach and West Palm beach. Usually a bit more current, but you can use the wreck sites to your advantage and have some fun with the current. Absolutely recommend a dive at the Blue Heron Bridge (slack high tide). Excellent site for photography and night diving.

Enjoy your visit!

You didn't really say where you were staying while you are on vacation. I cannot answer this question with confidence until I know the answer to that. It really matters as more northern dives are deeper and southern dives are around the 60' level for most dives (Jupiter 85-90'), yet both extremes offer great dives for the buck...

Ok - going to do it. Flying into FLL/PBI. In terms of where to stay - would you recommend Blue Heron area (bunch of timeshares like Marriot Ocean Pointe in the Palm Beach shores) or North Palm beach near Jupiter or West Palm beach as a home base? Plan is get there Tuesday, do and afternoon 2 tank (ease into it), eat/sleep, do morning grouper with Jupiter Wednesday, rest/eat, do the Blue Heron night dive, eat/sleep, do another 2/3 morning Thursday, wait out 18-24 hour surface interval and fly back at some point friday mid-morning (all on Nitrox).

Thinking of doing Singer Island - likely Marriot resort there. Any reason not to?

Booked on Jupiter for Wreck Wednesday. What is the best way to find buddies for Blue Heron (outside of going and hanging out a few hours before high tide)?

Look for the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom