Diving Similan, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bekpekker

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Will the beginning of October be a good time to dive the Similan Islands or is it better to pick another month???

Thanks for your help!

Joop.

The season runs there from Oct/Nov to Apr/May so October will be on the leading edge of it. This means that you could run into the tail end of the monsoons.

Leaving it for a little longer should give you a better chance of better weather but there's no guarantees with the weather.

Yep, it's the very start of the season. Last year, the first week of October was the worst weather of the year. But you never can tell. We just had customers come back from Similan, 4 days on the Really Wicked Witch, great trip and calm seas in September.

If you can come later, then come later. I think the very best diving months are February - April or even into May. Calmest seas and the best chance of seeing that biggest of all the fish. BUt it does get really hot. If you prefer "cool" (relatively speaking), then November to January.

I'd second Febuary. The seas last Feb were just perfect, very calm and good vis

yeah, defitnitely wait until at least after new year when it gets really crowded and all you get to put into the log book is 'loads of divers'!

October can be really nice, with excellent weather and good viz. And even better: the chances of meeting lots of divers under water are nil. If the weather is not very nice, still the viz will remain excellent.

I'd go for it, the worst thing that can happen to you is rain, but still very nice diving.

Sunrise, I seem to remember a discussion we had earlier where you were very much opposed to my idea to send divers to the Similans from June till September?

HI,
We were there in Oct 2002 on the first trip of the season (sorry, don't have the operator's name handy). Lovely weather, one storm on the way back in after 5 days of excellent weather. If that weather was 'marginal' (according to the change of season) then the 'good' weather must be fantastic.

Check with the operators you are thinking of using.

stevenl:
October can be really nice, with excellent weather and good viz. And even better: the chances of meeting lots of divers under water are nil. If the weather is not very nice, still the viz will remain excellent.
I'd go for it, the worst thing that can happen to you is rain, but still very nice diving.

No, I agree, it CAN be nice, but at the same time, it MAY NOT BE nice. The worst that can happen? Rain and big waves, not just rain. The original question was - is it better to pick another month? - the answer is yes. If you have no choice and are here in October, then wait and see. Trips are unlikely to be full, so you can book when you get here (as opposed to high season when you really must book ahead). Beginning of last October we had one cancelled trip on Explorer (due to depart 3-10-03) and also a very bumpy ride on Le Mahe from Similan to Thap Lamu on the 5th. After that it calmed down a bit.

stevenl:
Sunrise, I seem to remember a discussion we had earlier where you were very much opposed to my idea to send divers to the Similans from June till September?

Have just trolled through months of past messages, and can't find anything like that... can you show me exactly what I said, rather than saying 'I seem to remember'? I think it would be the same as I just said above. It all depends on the weather. Can be good or can be bad. I am not "very much opposed" to Similan liveaboards in the summer, I always say, if you are here and the sun is shining then go for it. If you have the choice to wait, then come later.

BTW, welcome back stevenl, have you been on holiday?

jiptha:
yeah, defitnitely wait until at least after new year when it gets really crowded and all you get to put into the log book is 'loads of divers'!

Guess it depends who you're diving with. We went with Mermaid I and barely saw antoher dive boat the whole time we were out and we only saw other divers on one of the dives. Even at Richileu we got there early so avoided the crowd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom