Diving Similan, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitehead:
If you just want to dive then why risk not being able to dive at all because of the weather - much better to come later when there is less risk of weather stopping you diving.

"less risk" is the key phrase here. If the weather was good all year we'd have Similan Islands liveaboards 12 months with no breaks. The weather might be good, but there is a risk. People are I think much more aware of it since the Atlantis X sank in the summer of 2002, fortunately with no loss of people. Nobody will schedule a whole summer of trips and get them all fully booked if they might have to cancel, too risky. The few who go out now will not take a chance with the weather either, if it looks bad, trip is cancelled, money back, sorry. I think all booking and liability release forms make that quite clear.

A very few boats have summer trips if they can get enough punters. Some boats start trips early October, and if you're in the area, check it out. Otherwise, wait a while. November is better, and I think the best is February - April.

So, if you have the choice, come when you are sure of good weather....can you ever? ask Michael Fish...

Hi Sunrise,

Can't find the post as well. I recall we had a long discussion about the Similans in the off season earlier.

Just came back from 2 weeks vacation in Holland, and belief me or not, I had 2 weeks of sunshine and really nice weather. Even made a dive there, but can't see I was thrilled with a vis of 30 centimeters. Did manage to keep up with my buddy, but that is all the good that can be said about the dive.

1 more time about October: totally agree there is a risk, but normally October is very much ok, and you won't see too many divers, so I would really go for it. Also agree there is no need to book in advance, just show up and see what is available.

Back
Top Bottom