Diving Shinnecock Inlet West Jetty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave 69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to dive the west jetty of the inlet either this Saturday or next Friday.

I have heard some things about diving at or a little after high slack, I'm curious if anyone has an info on the best time to hit this spot?

Also do I need to fly a flag at this spot as well? I'm assuming yes, but assuming never ends well for me.

Thanks in advance!

Unless something has changed you can only dive the outside part of that jetty.

You would think common sense would prevail....but I have seen two dive flags ,on two different occasions,moving along the inside of the west jetty there with people casting over them.

I have dove with a flag there, and ended up "catching" quite a few fishing hooks with it as the fishermen on the jetty have their lines cast and strung taught over head.

A comic pseudo tug-of-war ensued as I thought (mistakenly) that the flag had somehow gotten caught on the jetty rocks. I won and got some shiny new hooks!

Good times.

[edit]: Diving only on the beach side.

I'm looking to dive the west jetty of the inlet either this Saturday or next Friday.

I have heard some things about diving at or a little after high slack, I'm curious if anyone has an info on the best time to hit this spot?

Also do I need to fly a flag at this spot as well? I'm assuming yes, but assuming never ends well for me.

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering if you did make it to Shinnecock Inlet and what you thought of the dive? I know this is an older post but I am interested in diving this at some point.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom