Diving school near Nakhon Si Thammarat - PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived from the beach at the lower end of Khanom, round the point past Supar Royal Beach hotel, and have dived a number of times at Khao Plie Dam, which is further up the coast towards Nakhon Si Thammarat.
The water is not deep, up to 7 meters max, and vis is rarely any good.
Very little to see unless you like finding old fishing material and tires! Some scorpion fish often seen at Khao Plie Dam.
Nearest place for air fills (and other diving kit) is One Stop in Krabi (if you don't want to get the ferry to Samui).

As already stated, a dive is a dive. It aint so good in this area, but its handy for getting in a dive if you dont have time to go somewhere decent or want to test your kit before going on a longer trip.

Personally, I find the Gulf of Thailand side is usually poor in terms vis and quite overfished. Much prefer Andaman Sea side in the Lanta area. If you have all your own kit, hire a boat to take you out. I did this some years ago at Trang and had a nice dive at Ko Kradan. This area is good because it's not heavily dived; liveaboards and the odd trip from Lanta as far as I know, although its become a popular area for the snorkelling trips that can often dump a pile of people in the water without a care for the damage they do to the reef.

I live very close to Walailak and am trying to get a job there, so pop us a message if you need any info in diving this area (or know of any jobs).

A dive center on Koh Tao used to do cave / technical diving at Racthaphraphra dam (Surrathani), which is about 40m deep I think. Expensive diving though and not sure if they are still in operation.

Highly recommend ScubaFish at Kantiang bay, Koh Lanta if you are in that area. I've been diving with them for the past 5-6 years. Very professional operation compared to what I've seen at Samui. They are in the south area of Lanta so handy for Koh Haa, Hin Daeng/Him Muang, and the islands around Trang.

Last edited:
Hello Sausage,
Thank you so much for replying to my inquiry!
We will be in Tha Sala for the entire month of December 2018. I do not know our schedule as we will be dependent upon our hosts. An extra diving kit of regs, fins, boots, & BCD is there, and am considering leaving my 3ml wetsuit there (protection against jellys).
As my profile says, I live in Oregon, am 67yrs, and dive regularly the cold murky Pacific NW waters. Your profile says Garibaldi. Is that Oregon? I have been diving Netarts, but not Garibaldi.
I dive every other week in my 7mm wetsuit(s), usually the South Jetty, Yaquina Bay, Newport, Oregon (Lingcod one month ago), so poor vis doesn't bother me.
It would be fun to dive in the Tha Sala area. I would need tanks/air.

Hello Sausage,
Thank you so much for replying to my inquiry!
We will be in Tha Sala for the entire month of December 2018. I do not know our schedule as we will be dependent upon our hosts. An extra diving kit of regs, fins, boots, & BCD is there, and am considering leaving my 3ml wetsuit there (protection against jellys).
As my profile says, I live in Oregon, am 67yrs, and dive regularly the cold murky Pacific NW waters. Your profile says Garibaldi. Is that Oregon? I have been diving Netarts, but not Garibaldi.
I dive every other week in my 7mm wetsuit(s), usually the South Jetty, Yaquina Bay, Newport, Oregon (Lingcod one month ago), so poor vis doesn't bother me.
It would be fun to dive in the Tha Sala area. I would need tanks/air.

I have 2 Aluminum and 2 steel tanks in Khanom and a very slow compressor. If that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom