Diving - Saturday / Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone interested in doing a couple of dives either Saturday or Sunday? Was thinking of going to Monastery or just lazying about at the Breakwater.

Claude

Hi Guys:

Looking at the WAM, it appears that Sunday will have better conditions. I'm going to chance Saturday at the Breakwater. Going to park in the upper parking lot. Drive a gray Honda Accord sedan. It has roof racks with a Thule bike tray. I'm going to bring both my tanks but will only do one dive it conditions aren't "too favorable."

Claude

We will be @ BW as well and then im pt Lobos on sunday. (tix are on sale :)

Hi Andrew:

I will see you guys there. I plan to be there between 8:30-9:00AM.

Thanks,
Claude

After seeing conditions from BW to Mcabee all the way to monastery and lobos my recommendation would be for BW. The swells are mackin! Smooth to drive over but surgy and they Occasionally land some whoopers on shore. Make sure to watch the surf for awhile before getting in the water. I would definitely not recommend Monastery to anyone this weekend.

Oh and for those diving the Carmel side...vis is pretty good offshore. We could see the bottom while passing over a 30' bottom.

Oh and keep your eyes open for whales! We saw a couple humpbacks today.

Got there at 8:30am and it really looked bad. The waves were washing up to the stairs. Talked to a young man that appeared to be with a large group. Said that visbility was about 2 feet and opened up beyond 60 feet. Not sure that conditions will be all that better tomorrow. Probably best to stay at home this weekend.

Claude

hmm, thats weird. we arrived @ 9:45, to find Empty parking, nice calm ocean, easy entry, sunshine.
Viz was hazy 15ft in 50ft of water, lot of particle, but water hue was blue, and it will get much better on sunday. so we be back for more!

Probably best to stay at home this weekend.

Forecasts indicate that it's going to lay down tomorrow (Sunday). It might be worth sleeping in a bit as it will get better as the day goes on. I've stayed out the last three days, but I'm gonna go tomorrow.

Last edited:
It has already laid down. We were hanging around Carmel late this afternoon and the winds had died and the swells were much much smaller. Tomorrow morning hopefully we wake up to a gorgeous day in Carmel even though we will not be diving.

Earlier in the day a guy was telling us about his ride North from Santa Barbara, and how the waves were crashing over the bow to the top of the fly bridge on his 48' Grand Banks. We tried to go to Carmel today, but turned tail and slowly made our way back into Monterey Bay only stuffing the bow a couple of times into the steep wind chop. We didn't trust the non updated 2:35am forecast that said the wind would lay down this afternoon, yet we should have.

Enjoy the nice conditions tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom