Diving Roatan and Utila in March + Utila Research Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dolphin Activities - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras - doesn't look very wild to me...

In all fairness, what I described above was our entire interaction with them so I don't know where they go at night. I suspect he "lied" in a politically correct fashion - it's a pretty touchy subject in some areas.

Dolphin Dives - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras

The web page conveniently doesn't say FROM WHERE the "two or three dolphins will arrive" at the dive site. That's probably exactly how our DM worded it when we asked. So it seems highly likely that they "arrive" at the open-water dive site from the enclosure in which they are housed during the night and the rest of the time when they're not doing these dives.

We asked our DM the question because I recall it being discussed previously on SB (with conflicting information on that thread, too) and I was curious to find out firsthand. Unfortunately, I asked just enough to allow myself to me misled and did not dig deeper.

Doc, I have done my searching on here for Roatan and Utila. Hence the questions I have posed thus far are pretty specific….

Another option on West Bay Beach is Henry Morgan Resort. It is a 3* property, and is all-inclusive, including national brands of alcohol. The beach is gorgeous, the swimming pool is huge and attractive and I have read good reviews about the dive op on site...TGI Divers. They also provide airport pickup, so it looks like they check a lot of your boxes.

I visited there once and had lunch during an island tour while we were staying at their sister property...Media Luna Resort, so I have not actually experienced the amenities personally. From my observation of the property, I could sincerely recommend it. There is also a snorkeling area just at the end of the beach that is supposed to be good.

Diversteve, thanks for being thorough with my questions. I'm still weeding through your answers and the other posters as well.

FIBR
Seems to be luxury hotel to me and not what I'm used to. Sounds like this is the only place where my friend can get to a beach pretty easily. Any decent resorts (AI) that are within walking distance to WEst Bay Beach? (since you mention this is the best beach on Roatan)

Whalesharks
A couple of posters in other threads have talked about not seeing whalesharks at all on their trips. If I join the Whale Shark Research Weeks, am I good to assume my chances are much higher? I'm now starting to think Belize or Mozambique is the better place to go for high chance of whale shark sighting AND a variety of macro and pelagics (Yes, I'm looking for something that can come as close to my dives in Sipadan, Komodo, etc).

Deep Blue Utila
I've emailed Steve but he doesn't seem to reply too quickly :( I'll try again.

Thank you!

Bananarama can be bought as an AI if you look on their specials page. It's in West Bay on the Beach. Vintage Pearl there is supposed to be one of the better restaurants. Roatan Diving, West Bay Beach Resort, Bananarama Dive I don't know the other resorts in West Bay well enough to comment on them. WB Beach is supposed to be one of the nicest in the area.

FIBR isn't really a luxury hotel IMO. Some friends stayed there a few years ago and said it was pretty tired - AC and water delivery problems. it's been around a long time. Recently they renovated the resort grounds but I've heard not the rooms. It's also gone thru at least two ownership changes in the past several years. Luxury would be Barefoot Cay by comparison.

I didn't understand your comment, is FIBR too nice for you? There's a lot of less expensive accommodations in the West End ranging from hostels (Chillies) on up. Coconut Tree Cabins were decent for the price, some of my friends stayed there when we dove with them. They also list some other options here: Accommodations At a quick glance, none are beachfront but it's often across the road.

Your friend can walk across the road in the West End in some areas and be right on the beach. Sueno Del Mar and the property south of it are on the beach - in that area it's pretty wide. The area around Sundowners Beach Bar - can find it on any map - has a narrower strip of beach that kind of runs out on the east end of Half Moon Bay where it becomes all ironshore. We stayed on the point there, it was all 6' ironshore cliffs. Like this: Cocolobo, West End, Roatan, Honduras. Hotel and dive packages About a 5min. walk back to town/the beach.

Posada Arco Iris shows the beach on their website - they have chairs there for guests use. It's a nice beach but not very wide. And across the road from the resort.

It's best to look at it on Google Maps or Google Earth in detail since some resort websites show the beach that's nearby - not on-site. Thru most of the West End the main road fronts the beach and the resorts are set behind it - often behind a row of shops/dive shops/restaurants also. PAI is one of those, Argentinean Grille fronts much of the property with the rooms behind.

One other option for both of you might be Luna Beach Resort. It's sort of the far west end of the West End - about a 10min. walk to town. Roatan accommodations - Roatan resort and beach - Roatan scuba diving The problem there is that the reef/seagrass get pretty close to shore in most areas so while the beach is nice - wading out into the water is not particularly so. You can sort of see it on the shot taken from the air.

Belize is the only place you can dive with Whale sharks in the Americas. Unless you get lucky at Flower Gardens NMS (liveaboard) or occasionally south Florida. Splash Belize breaks it down pretty well on their website - dates, package prices etc. Placencia has some nice beaches also.

I think the spot with the highest likelihood of snorkeling with them is Holbox MX later in summer but IDK much about those other places you mentioned. Except my friends did dive with Whalesharks in Belize with Splash in spring 2010. They only come in to feed at Gladden Spit during/after the full moon so you have to time it. It's a fairly long boat ride out and just an average dive if they don't show.

From videos I've seen of Sipadan, nothing in the Caribbean comes close.

Thanks diversteve :) I'll take into consideration your advice. Yes, FIBR seems pretty high end… Mabul Water Bungalows and the cabins at Layang Layang were nowhere close to that kind of luxury :)

diving with whale sharks at gladden spit in belize is underwhelming to say the least (viz is awful because of all the snapper spawn, its like diving in milk and all you do is hang out at 40-60' and hope one passes close enough to see it) and if you don't see one the dive is completely pointless, there is absolutely nothing else to see.
imho its better to snorkel with them somewhere (utila, holbox, tofu or ningaloo) than dive with them at gladden spit in belize.

i did the gladden spit dive on 6 days over two years and had a couple of great encounters but had much better ones snorkeling in utila.

I know this is not the same location, but since you guys admire amazing whale sharks so much I just had to share it with you! A dive buddy of ours shot this incredible whale shark video during one of their dives in Thailand recently. He runs an organization called "Shark Guardian", so that's why you see that label at the beginning...it's not advertisement! He's a great guy we met and dove with in Indonesia :D

[video=youtube;EvQQIIkabEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQQIIkabEQ[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom