Trip Report Diving Rangiroa and Tikehau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACHiPo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just finished 2 dIves with 6 Passengers and 2 with Top Dive in Rangiroa. Both were good, but I must say I preferred Jimmy at 6 Passengers to our DM at Top Dive. Will fill in more details at a later time.

Diving with Xavier at Coco Diving on Tikehau tomorrow - Tuesday, Still looking for a Wed dive company. Will update later.

6 Passengers Rangiroa. Refresher dive with Jimmy in the lagoon by the Aquarium about 9:00 am. Nothing special, but liked Jimmy’s communication/instruction style. I had a refresher pool session a few weeks ago, but it had been over a year since my friends dove. We all benefitted from the refresher, and I learned a lot about buoyancy control as did my friends. Second dive was outside the Tiputa Pass about 2 pm. Nice relaxing dive down to ~ 61’ with visibility above 100’. Hung above the wall while dolphins played with us—a total blast!

Top Dive Rangiroa. Two tank dive. First dive was outside Tiputa Pass at a max depth of 81’. Another dolphin encounter, but this time only one and it interacted with the DM, but not the rest of us. Lots of barracuda. The deep blue is aptly named—like I imagine space would feel. Second dive was shooting Tiputa Pass. Max depth 112’, which was 20’ deeper than briefed, but we all stuck with the DM in the column. Hammerheads and other big sharks were on the bottom about 100’ below us. Visibility again was >100’. Headed into the pass at about 90’ deep and sunk below the first canyon wall to find a ~12’ grey‘s shark and a tremendous variety of fish. I let the DM know I was at 1/2 tank so we rose and got back into the current the shoot the pass. Once through at about 35’ depth I let the DM know that I was at 900 psi reserve—he seemed unconcerned. A few min later he checked with me again and seemed surprised and somewhat panicked that I was at 600 psi. We headed to a 12’ safety stop where I spent 8 min even though my computer said decompression had cleared. I surfaced with 250 psi next to the boat. A bit closer call than I would have liked. Also in retrospect, I’m not crazy about the dive profile—max 81’ for 50 min, 70 min surface interval, followed by 112’ max seems a bit reckless.

Dive this morning with Xavier from Coco Dive at the Manta Farm in Tikehau. A great experience. Xavier is my favorite DM of the trip. His explanations and dive briefing were concise and educational. The Manta Farm is a 5 min boat ride from the Pearl Resort. Visibility was mediocre at ~20’. When we reached the cleaning station there was a large ~10’ male getting the wrasse spa treatment. He treated us to a few laps around the coral head before heading off out of sight. We saw two more females on the dive, one smaller one about 7’ seemed curious and treated us to a fly by about 4’ above our heads. Pretty spectacular.

Keep diving there! Sounds like a paradise of marine life, sharks, dolphin, manta ray. I don't think your gonna find better even in top spots like red sea, Roatan, cozumel ect. How much are dives there and how much for a massage?

Keep diving there! Sounds like a paradise of marine life, sharks, dolphin, manta ray. I don't think you’re gonna find better even in top spots like red sea, Roatan, cozumel ect. How much are dives there and how much for a massage?
It’s pretty spectacular—in fact I run out of superlatives. Dives are $150 - $210 for 2 tanks. No idea about massage prices.

A pic courtesy of Xavier from Coco Dive. Our best dive experience of the trip.
080d23d0-b5f1-44f4-bc5b-c3025ff629a0.jpeg

Thank you for your report ACHiPro! Very helpful. We have decided to book with 6 Passengers and I have a question about when to dive. They offered us 4 dive times: 7:30, 9:30, 2:00 and 4:00. Do you have an opinion about what is the best time to dive?

Thank you for your report ACHiPro! Very helpful. We have decided to book with 6 Passengers and I have a question about when to dive. They offered us 4 dive times: 7:30, 9:30, 2:00 and 4:00. Do you have an opinion about what is the best time to dive?
Nelsonka,
I would give 6 Passengers a call or send them an email. As I recall the dolphins were most active outside the pass in Rangiroa in the morning. Around dusk when the tide/pass currents change and there are waves in the pass, you can see the 7 resident dolphins frolicking in the waves in the pass--pretty amazing--so that's a good time to be on a boat in the pass or at one of the restaurants overlooking the pass. The pass conditions are dictated by wind and rain in the lagoon more than tides. The dive shop will have the best idea on when or if shooting the pass is feasible (it doesn't seem to be too predictable based on my limited experience).
Evan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom