Diving Rainbow River Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sneakysnook

Reaction score
Diving Rainbow river Sunday I'm very excited about the dive I'm going with my wife and father-in-law. I wanted to know if anyone has done this dive and can someone tell me if we can get some good pics of anything? I most likely will bring the camera just in case if I can get a good pic of something.

I have been there MANY times over the years. It would be a good idea to bring your camera because you could get some decent shots of fish, turtles, and the occasional diving bird. The water depth is no deeper than 24 feet (if you stick your gauge in the sand) and there are several high-flow springs feeding the river so silt and sediment is washed away quickly. Check with either Crystal Lodge dive center or American Pro Divers in Crystal River to book a space on one of their boats that will take you up river.

Ooh...sounds like fun. I would definitely say bring a camera. Haven't been diving there before, but I snorkel in the river a few times a year and it's amazing, most of the time it's crystal clear. There are quite a few fish and lots of turtles around. Have fun!

Dvrgaryc I booked a trip with American Pro Divers yesterday. What do you think of them? I'll make sure we take a camera and take some pics.

And notice the little geysers (I'm sure there's a technical term for them) that come up from the bottom. It's a great little dive/snorkel trip. You can also rent a canoe and dive flag from the park if you prefer. Then you can go at your own pace.

We're also going to Rainbow River on Sat. Aug. 26. Actually we'll be doing Crystal River manatee snorkeling plus King's Bay snorkel/dive tour in the morning, then Rainbow River in the afternoon. I'm diving while wife and friends will snorkel. I found many shops do Rainbow River tour:
American Pro ($30/p)
Birds Underwater ($30)
Crystal Lodge ($10)
Adventure ($35)
and others.

I'm still trying to find out the difference between them. The price difference is not large (except for the $10 for Crystal Lodge Dive Center), so the quality of the tour would be more important for me. Would love to hear people who have experience with these or other shops.

I done rainbow river but we used the KP Hole park they carried us up river we drifted back down towing divers flag and often stopping to take pictures I actually penatrated one of the springs and got inside and had my buddy to take a pic also seen alot of Florida garfish big ones to. unlimited supply of turtles, bass, and bluegill brim

Torontonian:
We're also going to Rainbow River on Sat. Aug. 26. Actually we'll be doing Crystal River manatee snorkeling

Wouldn't get your hopes up too high in swimming with the manatees. Not the best time of year to see them. But you might get lucky.

St_Augustine_Diver_62:
I done rainbow river but we used the KP Hole park they carried us up river we drifted back down towing divers flag and often stopping to take pictures I actually penatrated one of the springs and got inside and had my buddy to take a pic also seen alot of Florida garfish big ones to. unlimited supply of turtles, bass, and bluegill brim

Did that trip the last couple of January's. Neat float/dive trip. Look for the gar at one location; the guide will tell you what to look for where, where the springs are under the river, etc. Quite a relaxing little dive. Roger on the camera. The only hassle really is the places it's only 3-4' deep, and you're trying hard to stay out of the grass as you make your way down!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom