Diving Puerta Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquamann

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I will be go to Puerta Vallarta in Feb. We hadn't planned this as a dive vacation but now would like to make a couple of dives at Marietas Islands and Los Arcos. Has anybody done these dives and do you recommend and dives shops to deal with? :help:

Thanks Doc, I did the search and their was quite a bit of info. I'm new to SSN and don't my way around that well yet. Sorry about the spelling.

I was just brousing and came across your thread. I wrote one of the treads Doc recomended.
Hope you enjoy PV I had a very memorable time there and will always think of it as the place "where Mexico goes to time share". Please let me know how your trip goes and watch out for the guys in the little booths on the main streets.

I have been to PV a couple of times. One of the local shops I used was Cicho's. They were so so at best. Price was OK but you need to know what you're about if you use them.

One girl got tangeld up with a moray and blood was involved. Maybe there were too many on board for one dive master, about 20 or so. about half were just snorkling so it kind of split things up as well.

I will probably use them again though. As I said the price was right and I don't need to be baby sat.

They did check credentials though. That I like. Kinda puts it on you to be up front about your abilities.

Thanks for the info. Liveordive. I been in contact with Chicos and another dive shop named Pacific Scuba that sounds pretty good. Without being there it's kind of hard to tell, but they have been very helpful so far with lots of info. and only 8 divers per boat with 1 divemaster per 4 divers. Haven't decided yet still have about a month.

and would not use them again. Remember, this part of Mexico is not known for its diving. Although some pretty cool things are there to see, the dive operations have not developed the same standards as in Cozumel or the US.

The diving has low visibility with strong surges at times. Last time I dove there in the winter, the jellyfish were pretty abundant.

When I go back to PV I am going to try Vallarta Tech...info at this link http://www.vallartech.com/

Good luck with your trip and have a great time in PV.

C_C

If you are interested I dove with Ocean Quest out of the Blue Bay resort. They were OK a little unorganized but the don't get the same kind of divers as Cozumel. The ocean was terrible when I was there but the surges around Los Arcos was managable, exspecially down deeper.
I wasn't overly impressed with resort Blue Bay club (south of town) the one down town was bigger and newer might have been better.
Have fun Steve
www.vallartadivers.com

:froggy:

I used Chico's back in 1991 (dive and snorkel trip). I liked them a lot. Fun people, felt safe etc. We went to Los Archos (it was beautiful) and one other spot that I cannot remember. I wasn't certified to dive so I just snorkeled.

Since a few people posted that they liked Chico's on more recent trips you can probably say they have been consistently good for a lot of years.

If my memory serves me correctly Chico's has a great web sight with a scuba video. I believe they also handle wilderness tours if you are into that sort of thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom