Diving Physician Recommendation in Austin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm trying to find a ENT/Diving Physician located in Austin, Texas (preferrably who accepts my BCBS insurance).

I checked with DAN and they were unable to offer much. Does anyone else have someone that they like who knows diving here in town?

I've ruptured my tympanic membrane due to a sinus infection and need to seek counsel on when it is safe to get back in the water. :)

Thanks,
John

jcole:
Hello,

I've ruptured my tympanic membrane due to a sinus infection and need to seek counsel on when it is safe to get back in the water. :)

Thanks,
John

Man...that sux...I live in Austin too so I'd be interested in replies here as well....you might try to PM "LVX"....he's an instructor in town and has many thousands of dives....if anybody knows, he might....good luck!

Edit: I'll PM him and ask him about it....

I got in touch with the head of bariatric medicine (a diver himself, super nice guy who actually called me back and spent 10 minutes on the phone chatting) at one of the major hosptials in town last year asking the same question. He gave me a couple of names of local ENT's that understood diving related questions. I'll see if I can dig up those names for ya.

Thanks guys. I've been searching the net and making calls all morning. I eventually found an ENT here in town on my plan that can see me first thing in the morning - so I'm going to jump on that.

In any case, it looks like I'm going to have to reschedule my Advanced Certification course this weekend. :-|

John

parroted:
Try to pm Jay he is with the SMART diving team and is a Paramedic...he may be able to recommend someone

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=35268
Thanks for the Plug, Unfortunately I don't have a lead on a Diving Doctor.
I asked DAN for a referral for a diving ENT (Ear Nose Throat) in or around Central Texas a while back and they sent me contact info for a diving EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) that instructs DAN courses. That's what I get for using abbreviations.

John, let us know how the appointment goes and how the Doctor is, could flood him/her with referrals if they're good.

Ok, will do. I spoke to a couple of doctors in person (or over the phone). Dr. Mailman at the St. David's Hyperbaric Chamber is the one that DAN sent me to.. but he said that he's no longer in private practice. I spoke to another doctor, Dr. Lore who was listed as a Diving Physician, but he said the first step was to see an ENT. I then called several different ENTs in Austin until found one who could see me this week (www.austinent.com). Most of the other couldn't get me in until the end of July or early August.

Just got back from my appt. with Dr. Bradford Winegar at the Austin Ear, Nose & Throat Clinic. Looks like I lucked out finding this guy. He was very nice, knowledgeable, and used to work with DAN at the Duke University Hyperbaric Chamber.

The good news is that my ear is healing and in not too bad of shape. The bad news is that I'm going to have to reschedule my course this weekend for two weeks out to reduce the risk of complications until I get my ear infection totally healed up.

I'd definitely recommend Dr. Winegar as a good ENT who is very familiar with diving related issues. He can be reached at:

Dr. Bradford Winegar
Austin Ear, Nose & Throat Clinic
3705 Medical Parkway, Suite 320
Austin, Texas
512-454-0392

-John

Dr. Dan Slaughter
Nasal and Sinus Center
12201 Renfert Way #105
Austin, TX 78758
www.capoto.com

He doesn't dive but he understands what is going on. There are three Drs. and Dr. Slaughter was recommended by a GP that was recommended by DAN.

On the plus side...Dr. Slaughter and one of the other Dr.s are AGGIES. Alas the other one is a teasip as is most of his office. BUT, what do you call an Aggie 5 years after graduation? BOSS! :D

I had a deviated septum, chronic sinus infection and polyps. He did a great job. They have all the hearing test equipment, cat scan etc. on site. Just off MoPac in the building behind a hospital.

I HIGHLY recommend them and they do take BC/BS

jcole:
Hello,

I'm trying to find a ENT/Diving Physician located in Austin, Texas (preferrably who accepts my BCBS insurance).

I checked with DAN and they were unable to offer much. Does anyone else have someone that they like who knows diving here in town?

Thanks,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom