diving Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rookie_J

Reaction score
my family and I are thinking of visiting pensacola the first part of march (if we survive the winter). while we're down there i'd like to do a couple of dives. i will be solo so would need a guide or buddy (i'm a newly c'd diver). i may or may not have my own equipment by then.

dive conditions (what can i expect) and shop/guide recomendations are greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance..

Rookie_J:
my family and I are thinking of visiting pensacola the first part of march (if we survive the winter). while we're down there i'd like to do a couple of dives. i will be solo so would need a guide or buddy (i'm a newly c'd diver). i may or may not have my own equipment by then.

dive conditions (what can i expect) and shop/guide recomendations are greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance..

I have dived Pensacola and Orange beach, Alabama extensively.

Most wrecks are actually artificial reefs/barges/bridge rubble in the area. There are no appreciable natural reefs in the Pensacola area unless you go WAAAAY out (this is different than Destin). Depths are 40-80 feet, little current, vis runs 10-70 ft. Seas might be a little unpredictable in March. Boat trip might be 30-45 mins depending on what site you dive. Expect a spearfisherman or 2 on the boat, and any shop should be able to provide a guide/divemaster for your comfort, or buddy you up with someone of similar skills. Make sure you are comfortable with your buddy's skills, and that (s)he understands yours.

Air temps might be a little cool in the 50-65 range, water will also be cool in the same temp range. Full exposure suit recommended with hood.

Have fun and be safe!

Yeah, water-temps in the low-mid 60ºsF.

Dive Pros, MBT Divers, ScubaShack, are all good shops from what I can tell by buying smaller items and getting fills from em, but I haven't used any of them to charter a boat from(I usually charter through Orange Beach, AL Rusty's Gulf Diver, via Underwater Works). I don't think MBT or Dive Pros have their own boats, but either should be able to get you one another charter. ScubaShack has their own and runs it regularly.

Doubt the road to Ft. Pickens will be open in time, but if it is... you have some easy beach dives available to you(jeddies and a couple of beachable shipwrecks).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom