Diving options from Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all! But yes Malapascua excels in the large - Pelagic Mantas, Thresher Sharks, Devil Rays, Hammerheads (seasonal-ish), White Tips and jumbo snakes - and the macro - shrimp, cuttlefish, pipefish, sea spiders, nudis, frogfish, zebra crabs etc etc. The wrecks are great too. We have less of the medium for sure.

However Monad Shoal, where we see the big stuff - is a great stuff without sharks and mantas - we do see schooling tune, huge potato groupers, schools of batfish, barracuda. There is no shortage of decent fish there.

Hi Mucksavage,

Is there a distinct season in Malapascua for diving??
Can the thresher sharks be seen year round? Thanks!

Sorry I meant cebu city not the airport. ^^

I'll leave the experts answer, but just wanted to share my experience when we visited Malapascua with our sons (5 and 3 years old at the time) - We didn't encountered any problems with the transfer, the dive resort had organized that for us, and as I recall it was a 3h drive on a descent road followed by a 25' transfer on a large Banka. No issues at all, comfortable enough.

Once you get to the island, no roads, no traffic, nice beach, so very safe and relaxing with kids.

Hi Dannyboy,

Just so you know, I work for a dive center in Sabah, Borneo. You can look at my profile. :)

Sipadan, as most have answered here is good to dive all year round. Getting there is pretty easy. You can fly direct from Singapore to Tawau via Malaysia Airlines. Most of the dive packages offered includes airport transfer and of course boat transfer to the island. So you have transfer sorted.

As for dive permits, the longer you stay you have a better chance of diving Sipadan. Also if you're going before the holidays (Oct-Nov) you have higher chance of diving there as its the quiet period before X'mas/NY holiday divers comes in. Keep in mind though, most seasoned divers knows this so there might also be a chance of more divers diving before the holiday to escape the traffic. :wink:

can fly direct from Singapore to Tawau via Malaysia Airlines.
Unfortunately, not true anymore, AirAsia.com route from Singapore to Tawau has been shut down during the year. Malaysia Airlines never operated a direct route. You now have to take two flights to get to TWU from SIN.

Unfortunately, not true anymore, AirAsia.com route from Singapore to Tawau has been shut down during the year. Malaysia Airlines never operated a direct route. You now have to take two flights to get to TWU from SIN.

Thank you for the correction Luko. Too much time underwater can make a person forget whats up in the air. :wink:

Hi Dreamwaltzz

Malapascua is 3.5 hours away from Cebu. There are three easy ways to get there:

1. Take a Ceres Bus from the North Terminal to Maya port and hop on a boat to Malapascua
2. Take a V-hire - a public AC van from the Makro (big wholesalers) Carpark near the North bus terminal all the way to Maya and again get a boat
3. The best option (and the most expensive) is to arrange a private transfer - get your own car and your own boat all the way to the dive centre of your choice. Comfortable and quick.

If you want more info about any of these just PM me!

From Singapore its just a short flight to Okinawa. We have world class diving and great places to stay. November our water temps will be about 26C.

Hi LJ82

The Threshers are here all year around, There used to be a Manta season but that has been blown out of the water by the fact that we keep seeing the newly identified Giant Manta (its pelagic rather then reef). We don't know fr sure if they are the same ones or different visitors drawn to Monad Shoal.They are 5m tip to tip.

Maybe late December to January is a good time for major shark lovers as we do have Hammerheads at Kimud Shoal during those months although I saw one in August too!

From Singapore its just a short flight to Okinawa. We have world class diving and great places to stay. November our water temps will be about 26C.

Would love to go Okinawa, but anything related to Japan is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom