Diving operator recommendation for Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brgc

Registered
Reaction score
Going with my wife to Utila in mid march and take our Advanced open water. We were considering diving with Ecomarine : Gunter's Dive Shop. Any thoughts or suggestions?
:D

I cannot speak for Gunter's specifically because I did not use their services, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the operations on Utila. Competition is stiff and those that don't measure up wouldn't last.

That being said I did my Rescue Cert with Utila Dive Center and I'm glad I did. In all my albeit limited travels (Keys, Jamaica, Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, Utila) they seem to be the most professionally run shop I've been around. Whereas most shops have that "feel" of being there for fun dives first, and if you want some OW instruction they can help out, at UDC you feel like you are at school of higher learning that happens to take out some divers for fun dives.

During the Rescue Cert we had to walk around to the island and get the Boat name, Captain, etc., for each dive shop. With most of them when you walked in it was a single person, maybe two, standing around doing much of nothing. Obviosuly this was late afternoon and most diving was done for the day. Everyone was very glad to see you and helpful. In contrast, in my 5 days at UDC, there was a class of some sort happening pretty much 8 - 5pm everyday. OW, Rescue, DM, or Instructor, or all at once. The vibe is all about education, and if you want you can sit there and soak it all in as instruction often happens on their docks.

With so many options, perhaps the best route might be to arrive on the island unscheduled and take a walk around viewing the options for yourself.

HTH

I did my DM course with Deep Blue in Utila. I looked at all the other shops first once I was there and picked Deep Blue for the opposite reasons Henry picked UDC, meaning, I liked the smaller dive shops with a more mellow scene. UDC was a flurry of activity, and that wasn't the vibe I wanted, though everyone I met who went through either shop left the island satisfied. It's a matter of preference.

Deep Blue has two instructors - older dudes (late 30s) who have thousands of dives on the island and tons of experience. I was able to assist on many OW and AOW classes during my DM internship, and the quality of instruction was really great. The classes are small so you get all of the individual attention from great teachers that you could want. The shop is sandwiched between two hopping bars on the island, so if you want the party scene, that's there, too.

When I was in Utila in June/July, Gunther's was one of the more mellow shops - even more mellow than Deep Blue, but friends that were there liked the vibe. Other friends went to Cpt Morgans and to Coral View, and they liked both of those shops.

Here's the deal: don't make the decision until you get to the island. This is a mistake I made. I was led to believe that space was limited, and I forked over a $200 deposit to one shop. When I got there and found out that it was not the right shop for me, I was not given a refund, even though there was only one other person scheduled in my DM class.

So take your time, visit all the shops, ask to see their boats and meet their instructors. Trust your instincts. Utila is a fantastic island. The thing about Utila is that whatever shop you go with, you'll become of that shop's family, and you'll have a fantastic time. The pricing is pretty standard at all shops, too, so you can really focus on what kind of experience you want out of the course.

Have a great trip!

Take a day and do a walkabout of the shops on the island. Personnel changes are frequent. Ecomarine has recently changed managers. deep Blue divers has recently moved the location of their shop. You will pick the right place for you.

Thanks for the replies everyone I guess we will just go to the island and find an operator while being there

I had some negative experiences at Utila Dive Center in 2006. I started my Advanced Open Water certification there, big class, cavalier instructor, major safety violations on the 1st dive, a night dive. I was allowed to move to a different (much better) instructor and was the only person in the group, good experience. Then I wanted to do some free dives and they had trouble fitting me in, apparently a common problem there. It's like they're in a race to see who can certify the most divers. I found it a bit chaotic and over social with too much pressure to certify and crowded boats. Ew.

Next visit, 2008, I headed out from our lodging (The Lighthouse - highly recommended) to check out shops. First stop was Alton's and I never looked back. I just did a package of fun dives there but the instruction sessions I witnessed were awesome. The afternoon boats have more of a party atmosphere and the morning boats were quiet with very small groups - something for everyone. I liked that they always had separate divemasters for the OW and AOW divers and dove separate profiles even when there were only a few of us on the boat. I'll head back there every time.

I had some negative experiences at Utila Dive Center in 2006. I started my Advanced Open Water certification there, big class, cavalier instructor, major safety violations on the 1st dive, a night dive. I was allowed to move to a different (much better) instructor and was the only person in the group, good experience. Then I wanted to do some free dives and they had trouble fitting me in, apparently a common problem there. It's like they're in a race to see who can certify the most divers. I found it a bit chaotic and over social with too much pressure to certify and crowded boats. Ew.

Next visit, 2008, I headed out from our lodging (The Lighthouse - highly recommended) to check out shops. First stop was Alton's and I never looked back. I just did a package of fun dives there but the instruction sessions I witnessed were awesome. The afternoon boats have more of a party atmosphere and the morning boats were quiet with very small groups - something for everyone. I liked that they always had separate divemasters for the OW and AOW divers and dove separate profiles even when there were only a few of us on the boat. I'll head back there every time.

I think you made the point that others have made. Go to Utila and look around for a shop and instructors/DMs that fit your style and personality. I've rarely heard anything bad about any of the places on Utila. When I was there for a few months, I saw divers frequently change shops as they found one that worked better for them. I trained at BICD and loved it. My roommate didn't like the atmosphere and went onto another school (Cross Creek). I visited it and decided in 5 mintues that I couldn't spend more than 5 minutes there. It just didn't fit my needs or personality. I fished all my training with BICD and did a whole bunch of fun dives with them.

I do believe that many if not all the schools on Utila have a problem with instructors wanting to certify as many divers as possible as quickly as possible. There are two reasons for this. They need the certifications to find jobs once they leave Utila. The other reason is that the rates on Utila are so low, it's very difficult for instructors to support themselves. I personally didn't certify anyone while there but I honestly felt the instruction given by others was very good. I witnessed or assisted in many classes and never saw anyone get certified that didn't deserve it. Many people actually like the condensed training schedule as it allows them to enjoy more diving after they have been certified.

I just want to add my pennyworth on this, having lived and worked on Utila for several years as an instructor, IT, and dive center manager.

The standard of teaching on Utila is in general very good. This is supported by the four instructor training centers on the island (3 PADI, 1 NAUI) for 10 active dive schools plus the amount of professional level con-ed development that happens. The dive centers are working physically so close together that a "glass houses" effect is also in play to some extent.

I do not believe rates of pay on Utila are low. I have had a very similar standard of living to the one I had working in London. There are dive schools that are more popular & busier than others. Working for one of these you can easily save money through the high season to see you through low season and still leave savings in the bank. Many instructors work and stay here for 2 or 3 years (sometimes more). If you work for a slower dive center then yes it does become difficult to support yourself in the low season. Popular does not have to mean lower standards or less service. We offer a fun diver service that very effectively competes with the resorts and a training service of small classes (4 people max). Yes, we do a 4 day beginners and a 3 day Advanced but we do also offer extra coaching sessions if these are required.

Every center has a different feel and atmosphere. Some are directly targeting the young backpack crowd. Others aim for the more serious diver market. Some look for a middle ground, offering professional services that compete with resorts while at the same time create a more social atmosphere.

I am going to Utila this winter break, would you also advise not to book ahead even at that busy (?) time of the year?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
We took our Advanced open water the past march-april at Gunther´s. its very near Chepas beach . Really nice people and ambient. Professional instructing. The only thing I would recomend is to stay in another hotel, but if you dont mind dorms with dirty toilets and U are on a budget , U can also stay there. Not thatbad actually. there are anyways two hotels next to it. Really recomend it. I will go this winter holiday back again.
To virginienore: I wouldnt book the diving place but maybe I would book a hotel room. When I was there on high season everything was booked. Winter Holiday is high season.

Back
Top Bottom