Diving on the coast of Malaysia - which islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnaCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

We will be travelling to Thailand in beginning of July and we wish to dive for 4-5 days. From what I read the season is not right for Andaman sea, might be better in Koh Samui, but I understand that the reef there is quite compromised and that it's extremely busy even underwater.
The idea would be to catch a flight from Bangkok to Redang or Tioman - Sipadan would be too far away.
I need advice in choosing the island, based on how rich the marine life is and how easy to access from Bangkok.
We are AOWD divers, and we usually dive on liveaboards in Egypt, so we are quite spoiled in terms of marine life :)

Any advice is wellcome, we are trying to build the best experience :)

Thanks!
Ana

Tioman:

Fly to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) then take a bus to Mersing then the ferry across to Tioman.

Redang:

Fly to KUL then to Kuala Terrenganu (TGG) get a bus / taxi to Merang Jetty and boat to Redang. Best to book through some company who operates diving at Redang e.g. Redang Bay Resort.

Koh Tao(Samui), Perhentian islands, Redang, Tenggol and Tioman. Where would I choose if I only have 4-5 diving days?
Koh Tao is the easier to get to from Bangkok as there are different options available. The quickest is a flight to Koh Samui and then ferry across. There is overnight sleeper from Bangkok to Chumphon and then coach + ferry across. Overnight bus is too uncomfortable but probably the cheapest.
Plenty of info on line.
Two very good dive sites near Koh Tao: Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock.
The island will be very busy so choose the operator carefully.

Getting back to Bangkok is also the quickest from Koh Tao as compare from anywhere on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia.

Getting to the Malaysian islands in the Gulf of Thailand is a PITA because they don't have airports. As the above post states...it's planes, trains, and automobiles (and boats) 😄

You may want to add Pehentian Island to your list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom