Diving on LSD 32, USS Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saablook

New
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a former Marine who served on The Speigal Grove. I was PADI certified in Okinawa, Japan, and have not dived since. (Still have the card). I would love to dive on this wreck.
Has anyone out there have any suggestions on what charter service or dive center to patronize?
Anyone out there dived on my former home, and can give insights?
Thanks,
Kent

You'll need an AOW card with most/all? charters. Plus it sounds like it's been years since you dove? You'll probably need a refresher course... then some diving experience, then the AOW.

You can probably do an AOW cert in Key Largo and dive the S.G. as part of your class.

I like www.diverscityusa.com

Others have recommended quiescence (sp?), ocean divers, and silent world. Do a search here for "Key Largo"... there's been many discussions.

may be acceptable in lieu of AOW certification. In either case, most operators require a refresher course (or a guide) unless you've dived within the past 12 months.

We ( www.BlueWaterDiver.net ) dive the Grove a lot. There's a pre-sinking picture of her (that's our boat in the foreground) on the main page of our website. That's the view (port side) you'll have as you descend on her. She rests in ~130' of water, just outside Dixie Shoals in Key Largo. The shallowest portions of the port rail are just 50' below the surface.

She's a beauty... an awesome dive!

Where can I get deck plans of the Spiegel Grove? Wanting to find Snoopy if I can...

Hi, I have plans and can burn you a copy if you have wreck penetration training. Snoopy is easy to find, but you sometimes have to waft the silt of the floor to see him if nobody has been looking for a while.

Its amazing the amount of customers we take out who served on that ship. I even have an instructor that was on it.

Deleted message as original message was out of date.

Good Diving,

Last edited:
Wow Brian....you are right. How funny, wonder if he knows that the Grove is now upright too.

Agreed on the plans, I got a set too, but don't intend to hand them out. As a matter of fact if the plans floating around are the same ones I have they are for a sister ship to the Grove. A lot of changes went on thru the years and those could have changed, causing real BIG problems if someone was to use them as a road map.

Good Diving,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom