Diving on A&E TV.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've use a Zeagle Ranger BC, Sherwood Oasis Reg, Scubapro Air 2 alternate air source, Uwatec Smart Com computer. Does this mean that my equipment is not able to config to be DIR? Is the only way to get horizontal and have great buoyancy control is to buy all the DIR equipment and start from scratch?

You can take a DIRF with your current equipment if you have a long hose (you can buy one) and paddle style non-split fins.

I do feel DIR and back mount is the way to go, however it simply will not fit in some places. Sometimes you need to use a sidemount rig.

I have no experience diving in those types of environments...should have kept my mouth shut.

Originally posted by ScubaCRNA
Does this mean that my equipment is not able to config to be DIR
You are far from DIR. Very Far. If you want to go DIR, then yes, you will have to scratch all of your equipment.

As for having great bouyancy, you can achieve that in a regular back inflate BC. That has a lot more to do with diver skill, then with gear.

The horizontal part wil never be achieved in a jacket bc unless you add trim weights. You can do it in a back inflate BC though. I can stay pefectly horizontal and hover in my back inflate BC. (yes, i do own one :eek:ut: ) However, in a jacket styl, every time you stop you will go vertical.

Originally posted by O-ring
...GUE/WKPP has dove that same cave system with back mounted tanks and had no problems. Mike changing his gear would have been unsafe and a really bad idea. Look who holds the records and has the impeccable accident record....hint, it ain't Buddy and co.

They went through some pretty tight restrictions, so maybe they couldn't have gotten where they went with a traditional DIR rig. *shrug* that would be a question for Mike Kane directly.

I completely agree that changing his gear from what he was used to wasn't the best idea, but the fact of the matter was that he _did_ change to a side mounted rig. For him to do that, I figure he accepted that there was a need for it.

Now I also understand his reluctance to not change from his BP/Wings. Going to a different BCD would definately add to the task loading, as you aren't familar with the inflation/deflation rates of the BC and how it responds... it just gives another thing you have to think about because your not used to it.

However, that whole issue brings a little perspective to my eyes. Diving with the same config, and having everyone else with the same config has the definate advantage of everything being the same all the time. However the disadvantage is when your not in that environment. If you have to change your rig, or others you are diving with are diving different rigs, you have to add an element that your not used to... being concious of what other peoples rigs are. Yes, the DIR configuration may be the one configuration that fits the widest range of situations, I'm not out to debate that, but no one config can be the best config for _every_ situation... it's just not possible.

So that brings me to what I perceive as a flaw in the DIR when the system is applied to real world situations. Diving with different configs for different situations, and with people diving different configs makes you have to be aware of what you have, and what your dive-mates have. After some time, it becomes second nature to inspect everyones rigs so you know where things are. Doesn't being dependant on one configuration lead to potential problems when dealing with others with different configs, since you aren't used to having to be aware of different configs?

You can take a DIRF with your current equipment if you have a long hose (you can buy one) and paddle style non-split fins.

The GUE page said that BP/Wings are needed. Were there people in your calss using BC's?

I have no experience diving in those types of environments...should have kept my mouth shut.

It's cool. :wink:

The GUE page said that BP/Wings are needed. Were there people in your calss using BC's?

Nobody in a BC, but as I understand it they do not "require" a bp/wing, but STRONGLY recommend it. I was told that the only firm requirements were no split fins (can't do the kicks) and a long hose (can't do the drills).

I can, and am, frequently wrong though... :wink:

having never dived either setup (dir doubles or sidemounts) just what is the difference, in inches, between the sidemounts and the standard DIR config that mike wanted to wear. is it that big of a size difference? i guess they did have to squeeze though the one section (for dramatic effect) but other than looks like he could have been okay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom