Diving on A&E TV.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...
Thanks for the reminder and prompting. In all honesty, what I got out of the show was more negative opinions towards DIR than positive opinions. Most likely those opinions are based on
misperceptions and not actual truths. My intent here isn't to bash on the DIR philosophy, but rather explain the impression I received from the show, and hopefully we can discuss those issues rationally. I pointed Mike to this thread specifically because there is no one better that can differentiate between what actually occurred, and what the editors of the show portrayed.

So let me jump to the biggest 'complaint' I formed out of the show.

Perhaps a direct approach is better. Is there a DIR approved sidemount configuration? If there is, was that what Mike was using during those dives? If it was, why did it not appear to be as safe and streamlined as the non-DIR configs? If there isn't a DIR approved sidemount configuration, how can DIR be used to dive in situations where sidemount is a better configuration choice than your typical back-mount configuration?

Spectre,

I wasn't sure if you wanted me to disclose private communication so I erred on the side of caution.

Now that being said let me try to see if I can put into proper perspective the totality of my involvement, and put to rest some of the misconceptions, but in the interest of brievty I may leave some details out so if you need more clarification please let me know.

My involvement in this show was a result of Jarrod Joblonski recommending me for the on air personality. A & E was looking for someone who had a good command of the subject matter, who keep speak knowledgably and cogently about the issues, and someone who could tell a story. JJ originally was in consideration as the camera man, as was Wes Skiles. For budgetary reasons A & E initially went with JJ, and the executives at A & E chose me atfer a series of screen tests, and after interviewing many, many candidates. In the end it came down to me and another girl from Florida and for whatever reason I was chosen. I actually thought for demographics they were going to pick the woman. But nonethless JJ then devolped the story line that would track a diver from a open water recreational diver, to a cavern diver, then a cave diver and then the extreme position of exploring cave that had never been explored. In any event after the events of 9/11 Wes found that he had a hole in schedule since some of his projects were put on hold so he submitted a revised bid to A & E, with a condition that Buddy Quaddlebaum could have shared footage. A & E liked the fact that Wes had a high Def camera and that he had worked previously on the Imax so in mid-stream they switched gears. In fact, I was scheduled to leave on Monday and on Friday I was told of the switch..

My immediate reaction was to pull out of the project, after discussions with JJ, George Irvine, Andrew Georgitis and the producer's I agreed to continue my involvement UNDER THE WRITTEN CONDITION THAT I WOULD USE MY GEAR.. I was so adament that I reduced it to writing before I agreed to get on the plane.

The producer's of the show were not knowledgable about cave diving at all so upon our arrival in Mexico it appeared to me that there was a fair amount of behind the scenes manuvering going on..

As to side mount configuration, bear in mind there is a DIR way to do it, which I'll discuss later, but the important idea to recognize is that side mounting adds an added complexity to the dive, which is only to be done when necessary. That is the penultimate issue, only when necessary. So here I was with the locals saying that you NEEDED to side mount, and the producer's knowing no better. As an ancillary point, it's important to note that Dive Rite sponsors a fair amount of projects that Wes does, so as loyal as I was to Halcyon Wes et. al was equally loyal to DiveRite.. Accordingly, had I been told we would absolutely have to side mount before I left home I would have packed a different rig. But I felt duped upon arrival because once we got into the filming I was told for the first time, even after many, many conversations that Buddy's team never received word that we wouldn't side mount, and that they had already trecked the single tanks into the jungle.. You can make your own decision on whether that was a coincidence or not.. I have my thoughts but I'll leave them private..

Upon meeting Buddy, and after understanding my reservations about side mounting, they told me that as luck would have it that they brought down a brand new DiveRite side mount for me to use.. I declined for a variety of reasons.. Bear in mind, that I think warrants repeating Buddy's business subscribes to a side mount style, and he was getting the rights to use this footage for his promotional purposes so he had a vested interest in suggesting side mount.

Furthermore, we shot 88 hours of footage and no where in ANY of the caves that we dove did I think we needed to side mount.

Let's talk a little about side mounting. I think you misunderstand what side mounting does. From what I read that you wrote, it appears that you are under the impression that by having tanks mounting beneath you as opposed to back mounted that you are more streamlinned, and are thus able to fit through tighter spaces. That isn't true.

The idea behind a side mount rig is so that if you get to a restriction you can easily unclip the bottom end of the stage bottle and slide it through the restriction, juxtaposed against back mounting which would otherwise require you to take off your harness.

Overall, I was significantly LESS streamlinned throughout all of my diving because I had 4 tanks hanging below me and the slipstream, plus a 30 lb Cinne light.. And even with all that extra drag and the increase in the co-efficent of drag never once did we even come close to a restriction that mandated that I use the *benefits* associated with side mounting..

Had I known ahead of time about the negotiated shared footage and the fact that we would side mounted I would have backed out because I did feel slightly blindsided when I got to Mexico, but by then A & E had already shot about 20 hours of footage, they had there whole crew flown in, Wes' whole crew flown in so I tried to make the best..

I still will add, even after all the side shows that were created, I did get to dive some of the most incredible dives in the whole world, and frankly when I saw the final cut, several months before it aired, I argued furiously to omit the controversy about gear, and just focus on the dives, of which we had nearly 50 hours of underwater footage. But at the end of the day I had no say over the edits and the producers kept reminding me that this is a series designed for ratings, and controversy sells, so they left it in.. In the show it takes up a fair amount of attention, but in the grand scheme of the 2 weeks we shot the show it really was a minor portion..

Hope that clears it up..

Later

MHK once bubbled...
But at the end of the day I had no say over the edits and the producers kept reminding me that this is a series designed for ratings, and controversy sells, so they left it in..

And look at where we are now! :)

Thanks for the background explination; it actually clears up a lot of confusion and curious wonderings...

I quite liked that show and the fantastic footage. The only thing i didnt like was that whole siltout portion - that seemed to me to be quite manufactured for ratings purposes only. You're a lucky man to have done that stuff Mike. Mexico is a beautiful place to dive. Can't wait to get to cave diving to do some of that there some day.

steve

of what happened. Very, very interesting. Not very often that you get to hear (or in this case, read) about what goes into making such a program. Your explanation does clear up some areas of confusion.

I saw the show, and the footage was just beautiful.

Wendy was kind enough to send me a copy of the tape so I have seen it a bunch of times. IMO, the sidemount vs DIR argument on the show showed nothing but ignorance. Maybe ratings is the goal but it proved onece again that nobody in the TV business knows crap about diving. Contraversy can be a learning tool but the way this was done didn't teach anyone about DIR or sidemount.

I have done a little diving in some Kentucky sumps and I can tell anyone that it is a real culture shock. Backmount doesn't work well for a veriety of reasons. One reason is the distance and terain over which the gear must be carried to get to the sump. The other reason is the size of the cave.

The sumps I have dived had plenty of room for a backmount diver. Another issue is visability, there isn't any. Team diving doesn't work the same way.

I have been doing some sidemounting in OW (in preperation for planned training). I can fit through places I wouldn't in backmount (and with room to spare). With only two tanks, they are tucked tightly up under your arms and run streight down your side. They don't handg below. You will fit through a much lower space without taking them off. Although easy removal is a goal also.

History has settled many of the issues we debate all the time here on the board. The fact is that cave diving evolved differently in different places. Silty, small sumps that are hard to access are dived differently than large caves with good vis.

In sump country diving is conducted by experienced cavers who learned to dive so they can pass the sumps that stand in their way. This is very different that Florida type caves that are completely submerged and a place where divers who where never cavers are the primary explorers.

I would be interested in hearing about DIR sidemounting. I have heard of it but have never found someone who knew anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom