Diving on a cruise to Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
My family is looking to go on a cruise (Royal Caribbean) to CocoCay and Nassau next July. Have many people done a cruise to these ports and gone scuba diving? Does RC have diving as part of the program? Would anyone recommend this, or using a dive operation in Nassau? Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks!
Rob

I did the cruise thing to Nassau and also did a vacation in Nassau. Skip the cruise and just go Nassau. Lot of great diving and things to do for the entire family. Cruises aren't worth the $$ or time IMHO.

I've been on a cruise to the Bahamas and elsewhere, but it was Holland America. I'm pretty sure they all use the same approach. You sign up in advance for different activities in each port. If you choose scuba, the cruiseline already has a contract with a particular op. If you sign up this way, I assume that the op knows the ship's departure schedule pretty well. Usually, if you are in port just for the day(at least in Nassau), this means you will do the morning dive series. Of course, if you are adventurous, you can make advanced reservations with a dive op yourself and they will pick you up at the dock. Regarding Coco Cay-- I have not been there, but it is probably just like the 'private islands' that the other cruise ships use. Crescent Key, Half Moon Cay... you get the picture. The diving at these spots won't be that great for the price, but hey--its diving. Very popular dive ops on Nassau include Nassau Scuba Centre and Stuart Cove's. Stuart is a 'mega shop' and NSC is smaller. I prefer NSC myself. Happy diving!

Did the same cruise. Dove with Stuart Coves while in Nassau. They have a bus that will pick you up and return you to the dock. You will not be able to dive Coco Cay as you will be tied to the cruise line that only has snorkeling. Too many people and not much time. Kind of like herding cattle. I'd skip the cruise, too and just go straight to Nassau.

Dave

If it were my vacation choice, I would skip the cruise, but I have 30 other family members who want the cruise. I had never been on a cruise before, but I would prefer some dive resort. I'll have plenty of other dive vacations, so I am going to join my family to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. I do appreciate all of your comments. I will probably try to dive Nassau, since there will be a few beginner divers in the family.

My neice was on the same cruise and loved Cococay. I guess I'll just snorkel with all of the kids. I love to snorkel, even though I would rather dive. At least I get to dive twice a month with manatees at the Cincinnati Zoo to feed my appetite

Thanks,
Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom