diving on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I really enjoy scuba diving but we are far from wealthy. It is quite expensive to take a trip to the Caribeann for a week. It seems quite difficult to do it for less than $2000 not including airfare by the time you add in lodging, food, diving, equipment rental and taxes. Can someone recommend some places to go that offer good diving and reasonable accomodations but will not break the bank? We are interested in warm water destinations. We live in Walla Walla, WA. I do have a bunch of frequent flier miles that I could hopefully use to get free airfare. We do not have any of our own equipment at present and only have about 15-20 dives each so far. Thanks, Brian.

You might consider heading to Florida. You can get great airfare deals and you might even be able to dive with some of the local riffraff like NetDoc, Moose, and the boys.

In my limited experience, you'd be hard-pressed to find a good place to dive that's as inexpensive as Cozumel. Hotels and food are quite a bit cheaper than most of the Caribbean resorts, but where you really save is the airfare. My wife and I spent a week in Coz last February for about $2K including airfare. We stayed at a mid-level hotel and did our dives with one of the more expensive operators (Aldora--totally worth the cost in my opinion), so I think you could trim that $2K down a little more.

Also, make use of the local grocery store on Coz for all of your beer, breakfast, snacks, and lunch and you are only left with dinner each day.

Good Luck!

Utilla seems to be the bargain basement dive destination. Try Bay Adventure in Miami for a Coz package, Hotel Barracuda for a waterfront hotel with pickups, Dive Paradise for an operator.

There's always Jet Blue and Southwest to Florida, although the wind can make diving iffy in the winter.

I spent a month at the Barracuda, there was a refrigerator in the room and I bought a hot plate and pot for about $12. It was good for coffee and oatmeal in the morning. Total for the month (1 person) was about $2K (excluding airfare)

The Keys and Florida in general is a great place to go. I have done tro trips the last two springs to the keys and you can do it for $2K depending on airfare. How about a Liveaboard like Blackbeards? I think they are $899 a week each you just have to get to the bahamas.
Good luck home you have a great trip!

I just booked another 4 night stay, three days diving, in Key Largo. Here's the cost. Round-trip to Fort Lauderdale from Col's, Ohio on US Airways, $191. Compact car from Payless $155. You can take the 'Keyes Shuttle' but it cost me $126 the last time. Four nights at 'Ed and Ellens' lodging for $59 a night. They are on the Net. Two two-tank dives with Horizon Divers for $70 each and a dive on the Speigle-Grove (I don't remember if it cost any more for this ship dive.) Also, Florida has some high sales taxes. You may ask: "Why Fort Lauderdale?" The flight is about the same cost and duration as Miami but the car rental is a lot cheaper in Lauderdale and they are only about 20 miles apart. And it's easier to get around and in and out of FLL airport. --------------I looked into a trip to Coz next month and the projected cost are $485 for flight and around $320 for a place to stay and dive, minus taxes also. (Hotel Villablanca and Pappa Hogs.) No car, don't need one. Same thing, leave on Monday, dive three days and leave on Friday.:14:

Are you able to dive local?

Heya Brian,

On the contrary, it is not that expensive to make it to the Bahamas. In fact, I just got back from there. Spent 9 days, 8 nights at a decent hotel and logged a total of 12 dives. With budget meals and all, you're lookin at around 1 grand per person. 538 for flight and hotel, around 370 for a 6 day 2 tank a.m dive package with Bahama Divers. I think it's a pretty good deal! check out orbitz.com and bahamadivers.com..

goodluck!

I am not sure how adventurous you are, but you can sometimes save money by staying away from resorts or the big name dive centers. In some of the Carib islands you can rent bungalows instead of staying in resorts, prepare your own meals, and find your own entertainment for a lot less than the resorts will provide it for you. In the Keys, I have sought out cheaper hotels and other places. The rooms are clean but very, very basic. On Hawaii's north shore and in other spots you can hold up in "hostels" which are really basic light housekeeping rooms. The downside is that you may end up with a room next to someone like me....

Us - local "rif raf" on a pretty regular basis accomodate safe divers by taking them along for the "locals tour".
Always nice to meet nice people who share a common interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom