Diving old air in your tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very important to shake up the tanks before using them... you want to make sure the air has not settled with all the ok at the Bottom since it is slightly heavier than N2... lol

Ive heard of this before it makes no sense at all. even the notrox blenders asay they have to do that. In PP blendingf how can that be thecase when you sre shooting a stream of air into the tank which stirs the tank gas contents. If anything I do believe the O2 level changes as the PSI drops after filling the O2 from cooling while waiting for the air top off. JUST IMO. I would really like some one to show me how that shaking thing works.

I believe that @Frackingawesome was being facetious (aka joking).

At least, I sincerely hope so.

Either way The idea of having to stir a tank to get a proper O2 reading is quite a common post through out the SB threads. There are many that insist that they ordered 32 percent and got less at the site untill they stirred the tank by rolling or all but juggling it. If that were true then what could be expected at the valve of storage bank even with air only in it.. the N2 on top and the O2 on the bottom. get yourself a tank full on high n2. NEVER SEEN IT HAPPEN BEFORE. both gasses are pretty well neighbors on the periodic chart at 8 and 10 or 10 and 12. I cant imagine the concerns with He mixes.

The idea of having to stir a tank to get a proper O2 reading is quite a common post through out the SB threads.
The idea that you might measure wrong immediately after PP blending or after topping up a nitrox tank with air is quite plausible. I've seen that myself.

The idea that there should be some kind of layering in a tank that's been sitting around for a while is... not quite so plausible.

The idea that you might measure wrong immediately after PP blending or after topping up a nitrox tank with air is quite plausible. I've seen that myself.

The idea that there should be some kind of layering in a tank that's been sitting around for a while is... not quite so plausible.
totally agree ,,,,,,, I did fnd this. the credibility of any decenting positions are guess is always up for inspection..

Stratifying Gas in Tanks

I've breathed it that was millions of years old. If your tanks are in date for periodical inspection, there's no problem with air. If the tanks contain high levels of O2 and moisture, they will rot, but you'de have them inspected before that, surely?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom