Diving off Sanya in Hainan Island - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolevr

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone have experience diving from Sanya ?

Do you have the nemaes and contacts of the local operators ?

Thanks,

Dolevr

Did you ever find out any news about Hainan? I'm thinking about heading there this month even though I know it is rainy season.

I'm also interested in diving Hainan, probably next year. Please share anything you find on this thread. Thanks.

Dr. Bill

Translate from a post on diving in Sanya of Hainan Island at a local diver forum in Hong Kong:

"I was in Sanya in early 2002. Sanya is a strategic location for the diving industry in China. Water quality is OK and UW visibility in general is 10-15M on averge. Don't expect to see a lot of aquatic life and corals. I think it is due to the heavy commercial fishing around the coast of South China and the lack of environmental protection initiatives.

Different dive shops occupy different diving spots around the island which make it quite confusing. Because tourism is the main business on the island. the most popular diving package offer on the island is "Discover Scuba Diving". But frequently this deter the tourist from the sport after the "discovery" dive. There had been vey few serious diving and also not very welcome on the island."

Hope this helps.

Kevin was right but I found out the hard way. Anyway I wrote a report atHainan's miserable diving

Just got back from "diving" in Yalong Bay. I was introduced to the first dive site by the hotel guest relations officer as the "best dive site" in Sanya. It was a 15 min boat ride from the holiday Inn. I brought my fins and mask, but no BC nor Reg. When I reach the dive site, it was actually quite pleasant. Viz was about 10m. My BC and Reg was already rigged up. I have told them before hand to make sure I have an octopus and to my surprise there was one! However, on closer inspection I found that my octopus did not have a mouth piece and the it was not even working! So much for alternates! When I asked the "instructor" he told me they only dive with one reg as their boss thinks it is a waste of money to have additional regs. I strapped up and did a back roll into the water. After a 1 min wait, I grew impatient and decided to descend without the "instructor". 5 mins later he came in and had to ascend to get his weight belt!! I must the viz is Ok and the hard corals healthy. However, there were no fish! Since we did not have a banger, I had on one occassion tugged at the "ihstructors" eg to get his attention and to my horror, he nearly died in fear as though he is about to be eated by a white pointer. Since it is a shallow dive (13 m Max) with a inital air pressure of 2100psi, I decided to take it easy and dive as long as the air can take me (after all I spend about USD$60 for the dive)! After about 70 mins, the "instructor" ran out of air and had to ascend. Since we are in shallow waters (5m), I decided just to follow him to find the boat with him on the surface. 10 mins later I ascended.

All in all, I would say it is as good as it gets in China. After all the dive industry is very young. If you want to do ANY serious and safe diving. Forget it! They cater mainly for the first time divers and make money out of "discovery scuba dive"! They are not interested in catering to the serious diver as they do not make money here and they know that they will get lots of criticism, so why bother!

Jimmy

I just now came back from China. Despite the notice about the inanity of diving at Hainan I decided to try. All turned out to be so as I supposed. As the guide said, it would be the best dive sight at Hainan – the small island in 100 km to the east of Sania. So, there were only one thing in English – the price, but nobody could speak English. I paid 60USD for “Wreck dive” and 50USD for “Wall dive”. Having put on suits we (I and my buddy) took a small boat and went to the barge. Another four guys with equipment got in the boat. First dive was a wreck -
the small boat at a depth of 18 metres – deepest sight at the island. The second place turned out to be the rocks lied 5-7 m beneath the surface. No fish, no corals, low visibility – max 3 m., only national language, certification does not need. Ultimately, diving at Hainan is possible, but very expensive, quite safe, a bit funny. It was not actually diving, it was like a show to understand better the Chinese culture and special climate of the Asian country.

Jimmy Thia i thought your post was really funny i can really imagine it, what a laugh ! and no doubt they do not belong to any federation and happy you survived your dive to tell the tale.

At least you can say you have dived in CHINA !

Good News about diving in Hainan Island. ClubFEIDA China, a 100% foreign dive operation has set up there into their 4th year. They can actually bring you truly to dive however not just in Sanya but even places like Wen Chang where there is an interesting wreck lying in 40 metres bottom and the Seven Straits Islands all the way up in the north of Hainan. You can ask them for more details at info@clubfeida.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom