Diving off of Beaufort, NC 8/14-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The weather could change, but my guess is that they just don't like to cancel 2 days out. I've had each of the popular Morehead/Beaufort ops call me in the past on the night before and say 'Don't bother coming down'.

As far as dive operators taking people out in questionable conditions: All dive ops will cancel a trip long before it is unsafe for the boat to be out there. It's just not comfortable for anyone (crew included) and they want you to have a good time. There are some days when seas are up and the trip out is not much fun, but the diving can be fantastic. If you are not in good physical shape, or you are not used to getting on and off the boat, then you can have serious problems. Other divers, on the same boat, could have a terrific time. So, I guess it depends to some degree on the skill of the divers.

I don't think any of the dive operators take people out when conditions are unsafe for everyone on the boat, but some trips do run when an unprepared diver could get themselves in trouble. It's up to you to decide if you are up for it. Most dive ops err on the side of caution.

fireflock:
The weather could change, but my guess is that they just don't like to cancel 2 days out. I've had each of the popular Morehead/Beaufort ops call me in the past on the night before and say 'Don't bother coming down'.

As far as dive operators taking people out in questionable conditions: All dive ops will cancel a trip long before it is unsafe for the boat to be out there. It's just not comfortable for anyone (crew included) and they want you to have a good time. There are some days when seas are up and the trip out is not much fun, but the diving can be fantastic. If you are not in good physical shape, or you are not used to getting on and off the boat, then you can have serious problems. Other divers, on the same boat, could have a terrific time. So, I guess it depends to some degree on the skill of the divers.

I don't think any of the dive operators take people out when conditions are unsafe for everyone on the boat, but some trips do run when an unprepared diver could get themselves in trouble. It's up to you to decide if you are up for it. Most dive ops err on the side of caution.

Excellent points. My buddy and I are not out of shape but we certainly aren't experienced with challenging conditions such as we are likely to face on Sunday. Do you happen to know if there is a descent line to the Indra?

Odds are we will postpone our visit :)

Most NC boats run a system similar to this one:

http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/hangbar8.jpg

The mate will tie the anchor to the wreck and you can (and should) follow lines from the boat to the wreck and then back up from the wreck to the boat.

The Indra is a nice easy dive - plenty of OW students are certified there. Once the weather clears up, I'm sure you will have a great time.

I dove The Indra last Sat. with Discovery Diving and had a great time.Like yourself me & my wife are very new.This was only our 2nd boat dive. The conditions were great & so was the crew.We are looking to go again Aug. 28.Saw lots of fish including 3 barracudas.

RAD Diver:
I dove The Indra last Sat. with Discovery Diving and had a great time.Like yourself me & my wife are very new.This was only our 2nd boat dive. The conditions were great & so was the crew.We are looking to go again Aug. 28.Saw lots of fish including 3 barracudas.

Hi there, well we may see you on the 28th then. They have cancelled all trips out this weekend and we rescheduled for the 1/2 day PM dive on the 28th. Thanks for the information about your dive.

Thanks too to all who answered my various questions. Now let's hope the weather cooperates in 2 more weeks. :)

we are going out sunday afternoon with Discovery.

Charlie will have passed by and its supposed to be fairly calm by the afternoon.

we booked it as an offshore dive, so hoping to get out to the sub or spar, but anything out there should be good.

Hey Outlaw did they say where they were diving. My wife said they have different PM dives.I know what you mean by difficult conditions. Our 1st boat dive was off Va. Beach coast, we had 4 ft. seas & a strong current, almost too much to make 2nd dive,but we did & my wife hated it. I hate to see my buddy dreading doing something just to make me happy.So ill take the 4 hr drive there & back to make her happy.

RAD Diver:
Hey Outlaw did they say where they were diving. My wife said they have different PM dives.I know what you mean by difficult conditions. Our 1st boat dive was off Va. Beach coast, we had 4 ft. seas & a strong current, almost too much to make 2nd dive,but we did & my wife hated it. I hate to see my buddy dreading doing something just to make me happy.So ill take the 4 hr drive there & back to make her happy.

Did you mean where are they diving on the 28th? No, we didn't hear that; however, I am really hoping for the Indra.

I am also wondering where they dove yesterday! :)

I believe that the sub & spar are off shore deeper dives that we dont think we are ready for.From what I heard on the boat the Indra is a weekly dive as some of the people on board had dove it 6 or 7 times.We want to go back to dive something familar.So we are hoping for the Indra also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom