Diving off cruise ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While we enjoyed it, we had the impression that the cruise ship marked up the diving a fair bit, and the dives were often shorter (40mins even).
Marked up for sure - I looked at the excursion for St. Kitts for my upcoming cruise and it was (if I recall correctly) around $180. A two-tank dive with Pro Diving St. Kitts is more like $125.

My only cruise in 2019 was in the south pacific. I booked two dives with a shop in Port Vila. They put on the dive boat and a dive guide just for me. We did the two sites I would have expected, just me and the guide. They even gave me homemade cake between the dives. As we were finishing up the ship dive group arrived and about 8 divers descended on the site we had just had just had to ourselves for an hour. My two dives with my own boat and guide cost me less than the one ship dive. YMMV.

It has been a very long time since I have been on a cruise, but I was able to connect with a diver and do do some diving in Ketchikan, Alaska from our cruise ship. Some of my most memorable dives of all time for the size and quantity of life that I saw! And the water was warmer than my usual spots in Lake Huron!

When I saw that the cruise offered a snorkelling excursion, I went online and tracked down a local diver who picked me up from the cruise ship, set me up with tanks and weights, and took me diving for the day. I did this planning from home, a few weeks before departure.

While setting up, breaking down and during our surface interval, we were within sight of the snorkelling excursion, so were able to keep an eye on them for their departure back to the ship. I ended up back in plenty of time, and even got to do some of my own sightseeing around town.

Logistically, bringing dive gear on a cruise can be a bit challenging-- especially big, bulky cold water gear. As the gear was drying, there was not much space left in the cabin for us.:p
What was the thickness of your wet suit and how many dives were you able to go on? You mentioned you dove with a diver,.....are there any dive shops in the area? Thanks

Whenever booking a cruise it’s always worth checking the environmental record of whichever company you’re considering. Carnival, for example (owners of Princess) has a very long criminal record for environmental crimes, falsifying documents and organising cover ups.

They even had a ‘magic pipe’ system which allowed them to bypass onboard filtration systems to dump untreated sewage directly into the water!

Last fine was February for yet another breach of the companies probation. One court has considered banning them from docking in US ports.

What was the thickness of your wet suit and how many dives were you able to go on? You mentioned you dove with a diver,.....are there any dive shops in the area? Thanks
7mm wetsuit. Water was about 55F as I recall. Considerably warmer than the 40-45F water I typically dive in Lake Huron at depth.
We did two dives.
There is a shop in Ketchikan, but their website says "CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS: No Dives Available Due To Limited Dock Times.".
I connected with a local who set me up with weights and tanks. Otherwise brought my own gear.

Started diving at age 65 because of cruise ships. . I wanted to see all the ports we'd been to under water. The only diving I've done is on cruises. Did my pool work back home and did my open water dives off a cruise with private companies in Curacao and Aruba. I've since done about 10 dives, some through the ship, some with private dive shops.

In St. Maarten I booked privately but walked to the dive shop with another diver. He got on one boat without 20 people, I got another with 7 others. His dive was through ship. Both dive boats went to the same sites, just at different times. The dive shop was Dive Adventures. It was $20 cheaper to book directly than through the ship

In Nassau I dived through the Royal Caribbean ship. The dive sites are on the other side of the island so it's quite a way. I looked at booking privately but no vendors offered diving for cruise ship passengers so you have to book through the ship. All the ships use Stuart's Cove. After a long drive you get on a cattle boat. One of the ship's diving instructors went with us. She was a big help and looked after the 4 of us even after getting on boat with about 20 other divers. The dives themselves were pretty good. The ride back to the ship was delayed and they held the ship 10 minutes for us.

In Roatan I booked with Sun Divers because we had our adult kids with us and they did discovery dives first and then a dive with me. Can't do that through the ship. Most if not all the ships use Anthony's Key in Roatan. They are a huge operation and just down the road from Sun Divers.

In St. Thomas I booked through the ship again This time we were on Celebrity. There were only 5 divers and a rep from the cruise ship. Walked off the ship over to the next dock and got on the dive boat. The dive shop the ship used was Discovery Divers. Dives were pretty good. The ship dive was within $5 of the cheapest private dive shop.

In St. Croix I booked with ST. Croix Ultimate Blue Water Adventures (SCUBA). There were 11 on the boat. Located right across the street from the ship pier. Easy peasy. There was a ship dive offered but it was canceled.

Went with Pro Divers in ST. Kitts. They are a short walk from the pier. Maybe 15 on the boat but that's because the ship got in late and Pro Divers bumped us to the afternoon dive. There were 3 others from the ship who dived with me the day before in St. Croix and St. Thomas. Very good dives. No ship dive was offered.

Going back to the ABC islands in late november this year on Royal. Got three dives planned. Diving through the ship in Aruba (I know the Antilla wreck is one of the dive sites). My wife booked a snorkel trip through the ship that goes to the Antilla as well. Might see her there. The ship dive in Aruba was cheaper than any dive shop I found. I did two of my open water dives with Happy Divers in Aruba before but they wanted $180 for a two tank dive this time. The ship dive was only $119 and that included full equipment

Went with Dive Friends in Bonaire and Scubacao in Curacao. I snorkeled with Scubacao back in the day then booked them to do my open water test dives when I was getting certified. They also did discovery dives for the kids when I was doing my OW dives. They went above and beyond for them. I like those guys. No ship dives are offered in Bonaire or Curacao.

Going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan and Belize in February. Probably going to dive in Cozumel and Roatan. Probably go with Sun Divers again in Roatan. Going with two of my brothers and trying to talk them into doing Discovery dives, like I did with the kids. Not sure about Coz. There is ship dive in Coz so I might try that just because it's easy. Transportation is included. No ship dives are offered in Costa Maya, Roatan or Belize this time. My understianding is that it's kind of hard to dive in Belize on a cruise because of the port's proximity or lack of to the dive sites. The last time I was in Coz, CM & Roatan there were ship dives offered in CM & Roatan but not Coz. You never know.

I forgot that I did a dive off the Royal Caribean private island Coco Cay. It's a one tank beach dive. They tow you out to a little barrier island one at a time. I think there were 6 or 8 of us. Visibilty was poor due to a storm the day before and my assigned dive buddy had regulator problems so we spent most of the time on the surface and then were towed in. A complete waste of time. It was cheap though, I think I caught it on sale for like $45. It's usually $60-70. I did go back to Coco Cay on another cruise, but didn't dive. I did talk to some of the divers getting out of the water. They said visibility was good, and they saw sharks, rays, turtles, octopi and lots of fish. They had a good dive. I may try it again when/if I ever go back. It's pretty common destination on RC cruises.

The one thing I noticed with ship dives (at least on Royal and Celebrity) is that they often send a ship rep (one of their dive instructors) to look after their passengers. Sometime they get in the water with you (free perk of the job?) and sometimes not but they are usually there .

Bottom line is that ship dives can be good or bad. They can be cattle boat operations or just a few divers. It all depends on the ship, the dive shop, the location etc. Prices can vary as well. Usually private dives are cheaper than ship dives but sometimes not. The Nassau dive was kind of expensive and it was exhausting getting from and back to the ship. The seas were rough, the boat was crowded and the current was challenging but the dives were good. Not sure I would do it again but I got to check Nassau off the list so it was worth it.

Sorry for being so long winded.

More stuff...

Just got back from my ABC island cruise. Dived three days in a row.

I dived in Bonaire with Dive friends. Had a guide all to myself which was nice. Two shore dives. First dive was at Yellow House Reef. Second dive was The Cliffs which is a vertical wall dive which was very cool. Saw lots of critters. Squid, tarpon, moray eels etc. Paid around $150 with equipment, taxes and marine park pass. Picked up and dropped off at ship.

Next day dived in Curacao with Scubacao. 5 divers all together, I was the only one from the ship. Both shore dives. Dived at Double Reef and Fisherman's Wharf. Amazing reefs in both places. The guide was very attentive and I highly recommend Scubacao. Cost was $125 with equipment including pickup and drop off.

Day 3 was in Aruba. Booked a boat dive through the ship. RCL uses Red Sail Sports as their vendor. 12 divers, split into two groups. Dived the Antilla wreck the first dive. I had dived on her 3 years ago and I was surprised how much she deteriorated in that time. Second dive was Pedernales which was a wreck/ debris site. Decent dives booked through the ship was $119 with full gear.
The dive boat was a short walk up the pier from the cruise ship.

How much time in port is enough? I have an upcoming cruise with a day in St Kitts from 8am to 5pm and was planning to book direct (with Pro Divers St Kitts as it looks like they are used to accomodating cruise visitors).
@spatty99 Have you done your cruise yet? If so, how was your experience with Pro Divers?

Not until February, will report back then.
Well, I guess I'll be reporting back before you do, I'm going out with them on 12/29 when I'm there with Royal Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom