Diving of your own boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grier, the link asks for a user name & password...you think you can email me the article?

Thanks

I tied up the boat I rented to a wreck bouy, along with another boat. While getting ready to dive, I suddenly realized we were drifting. The bouy had come undone, and the divers of the other boat were down.........hmmm. They can be lucky we were there too. Leaving someone on the boat who knows how to operate it is a very good think indeed.

You could always carry a lift bag and tie it to the anchor. That way if you start to drift, you just inflate the bag, get the anchor off the seabed and let the boat drift with you... :D Just kidding!! leave someone on the boat that can operate it

see the movie OPEN WATER and then think about not having someone on the boat looking out for you .... as for dive sights >>> check with the local dive shops and they should help you find the info needed ...

Melbourne Divers. Dive with another couple. You find a good spot and hit the water. The other couple stays on board. Help you with your gear and into and out of the water. When you get back they go in etc etc etc.
Speaking for myself I would be glad to throw in for fuel and sit for a hour waiting my turn, i am sure there are many others as well.

Eric

this is the very reason i have yet to dive on my boat yet.

i will freedive around the boat with it ancored becouse i can keep a eye on the boat.
but is do not want to be down for a hour and come back up to no boat. the sites that i usaly free dive is to remote to swim to shore and i will not want to do it with full scuba gear on.

thanks
brian

USAF Diver:
I'm surprised to see so many people from Melbourne here.

I found a page a while ago with the GPS coordinates to an artificial reef of Sebastian inlet. Hope it comes in handy.

http://www.fishsisa.com/reef.htm

Thanks USAF nice site, im lookign now at it, i found a cpl of other great sitres also that gives alot of info for this area, thanks!

scubapro50:
see the movie OPEN WATER and then think about not having someone on the boat looking out for you .... as for dive sights >>> check with the local dive shops and they should help you find the info needed ...

Saw opened water, it sucked, if you want facts, just goto our forms under accident's, and you can read all the news you want.

FLTEKDIVER:
Hi, i just bought a 21' center consoul, and live in melbourne , FL, any good diving sites out of Sebastion inlet? Also, i know West Palm has some great sites, but it's all drift diving, im looking for some nice dive sites where me and my wife could anchor up and do some nice reef diving and take some great pictures, thanks!

Well, im going to say before this form goes to crap, as i can see in the orignal post, i never asked the risk of diving off your own boat, and in another thread i said we do, but not often, if we do, were in 7' to 10 ' of water, on a nice day, off of warbaso, on the first reef, with my boat always in site. I started the thread asking for some dive sites, then you have people jumping in , putting links about all the accident's involving leaving your boat un-attended. Like i said if i do, it's to take my wife down in less then 10' of water, for no more then 20 min, and yes i keep checking the boat.

With that said, let's get back to the topic, if you want to start another thread about the "RISK" of diving off your own boat, then do so, these threads get turned around so easy.
Go down the coast between Sebastion and Vero and you'll count over 30 private boat's out diving all day long.

I

Talon:
Dang Al... Carmichael, Tom, and I were just talking about situations like that the other day. Makes that night dive from last weekend not seem so bad now doesn't it :). How far of a swim would it have been back to shore?

Marco, as soon as I read the message - just sounded like you. Checked out your picture and it was. Congrat's on finally getting a boat! I know you and Timina have been wanting one since you got down here. As for sites - check out the SISA reefs. They kind of remind me of the rock piles off the Mizpah in WPB. Ton of life on them. I hear a lot of Jew Fish hang out there. I haven't seen any, but did she the freaking biggest stingray I have ever seen there (10-12 feet long). Enjoy.

Michael

Hey Michael, how you been!!! Good to see your name here, as i will save it and PM you. Thanks for the congrats on the boat, PM me with your tele # and i'll give you a ring some time, we should go out for a beer, and see what each others been upto for the last year or so!! Good to see your still diving, having fun, Tehmina finalley got certifed a while back, and she's into diving finalley, give me a ring, i'll pm you my tele #, we have a group of friends we dive with, who also own their own boat's, so your more then welcome to join us,we been having a ball with it, i'll Pm you now, good to hear from you!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom