Diving Oahu in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clpkab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Opportunity may present itself for me to have free lodging on Oahu in early Dec. and currently plane ticket prices are low enough for me to consider coming out for about a week.

I'm a newbie OW diver with just 8 OW dives under my weightbelt at this time - hope to add a few more before then. Wouldn't be looking to do anything too technical or deep...

How are the conditions typically at that time of year - calm/rough seas, water temps? Any recommendations for dive ops in/near Honolulu?

Thanks.

Cheryl

Agreed with Marco..... December can often be great on the South Shore with calm seas, good vis and tons of WHALES! If you have a good chunk of time as it sounds like you do, you may want to try to do your Advanced Course while you are out here.

Let me know if you have any other questions....

Mahalo,

G

December is typically our winter months

Typically winter? So, sometimes December falls in the summer in Hawaii :shocked2: :D

The way I understand Hawaii seasons, the winter months are calmer on the south shores and rougher up north (think surfing competitions). Water temps in December (according to multiple websites) are around 76 degrees, which is only about 5 degrees cooler than in summer.

I went to Kauai in April and my instructor thought a 3mm wouldn't be warm enough so he put me in a 5 mm :rofl3: I would probably have been fine in a bathing suit :rolleyes:

You might also want to think about island hopping for a day or two, and do some diving on the Big Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom