Diving North of Mendocino? Humboldt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZKY:
Did you see any scallops?
What kind of fish and invert life did you see on it?

Wow I was afraid of that question. It was literally 2,000 dives ago. I would have remembered scallops as they are a favorite. We shot a few lings, nothing big. If I remember right we were about 80' and didn't see much if any invert life. We found out later if you're after "game" you need to go to off the NW corner of the rock. You can find the top of another rock in 90' of water and it's kinda flat with the BIG lings and other Rock fish. Use your boats depth sounder. The top may be shallower.

When we were there we were greeted by a bunch of sea lions. They swam around our boat barking at us and slapping water at us. It was obvious we wern't welcome but since we came a long way to dive we dove. One of them followed us to 80' and barked at us down there. He even showed his teeth. It was cool and yes it was stupid but making the right choice the first time has never been one of my strong points.

The invert life on the South Jetty is world class. You just usually can't see it because of the poor vis. On that rare day when it's clear watch out, you will see sea life large and small. My most memorable dives come from there. And yes it does have scallops.

ZKY:
drewdude:
I thought a fathom was 6 feet (20 fathoms = 120ft.)? It doesn't matter.
There may be other pinnacles and a possible cascading bottom on one side of that rock. If so then anchoring may be possible, but live boating it would be the safest bet and the use of SMB's should be mandatory for the divers in the water.

You're right, my bad. drewdude=ex-navigator on Exxon Valdez prior to the "incident"

"Sorry Captain, I thought the rocks were the soft fluffy kind."

Wow I was afraid of that question. It was literally 2,000 dives ago. I would have remembered scallops as they are a favorite. We shot a few lings, nothing big. If I remember right we were about 80' and didn't see much if any invert life. We found out later if you're after "game" you need to go to off the NW corner of the rock. You can find the top of another rock in 90' of water and it's kinda flat with the BIG lings and other Rock fish. Use your boats depth sounder. The top may be shallower.

When we were there we were greeted by a bunch of sea lions. They swam around our boat barking at us and slapping water at us. It was obvious we wern't welcome but since we came a long way to dive we dove. One of them followed us to 80' and barked at us down there. He even showed his teeth. It was cool and yes it was stupid but making the right choice the first time has never been one of my strong points.

The invert life on the South Jetty is world class. You just usually can't see it because of the poor vis. On that rare day when it's clear watch out, you will see sea life large and small. My most memorable dives come from there. And yes it does have scallops.

I lived in Humboldt for a good part of my life. The diving was fantastic. I am considering doing Redding Rock next year before it is closed to MLPA. I rarely scuba and it would be freediving. You mention the South Jetty and I am intrigued by that since I never dove it. Would you dive the inside of the jetty? Were there abs? Also, False Cape... not many people have dove False Cape. I have been thinking of doing that dive for years. Can you tell me anything about False Cape? Thanks.
John

I guess you could skin dive the jettie never really thought about it. but if you are hunting lings some of the bigggest i've seen were in less than 10' hidden in the holes. Yes diving the inside of the jettie is where it's done. I have ventured out to the ocean side and had some real good and productive dives there. The false cape is very good as well and yields some really nice fish. I have never spotted an ab in the area but since I don't care for the abs I don't look for them. I love to pluck them but I don't eat them so I don't go unless I have someone that I am sure will eat them. Number one thing to remember is that you MUST dive the jettie by the tides. At high tide you have ABOUT 1 hour with very little to no current then it starts to really rip. Look at it this way the whole bay will drop 3+ feet between high tide and low tide and that is one heck of a current you don't want to mess with. We used to walk down the jettis and get close to the cement dolos and hop in about one hour before the high tide and ride the current back to the car, get out swap tanks and then go the other direction on the sceond dive. If you try that make sure you have an area picked out for the exit. If your free diving the exit will be much easier. Also watch out walking on the slick rocks I know of one person who broke their leg trying to do a giant stride where they should have just sat down and slid in with the swell.

Cool Site, Thanks!

icantdive55: are you in Eureka?
Last time I was there visiting a friend I considered bringing my gear to see what was off the coast, I didn't because I hadn't heard of any diving up there. I went to HSU, and am familiar with Patrick's Point and Trinidad. Diving up north may give me yet another reason to go visit my friend :)

icantdive55: are you in Eureka?
Last time I was there visiting a friend I considered bringing my gear to see what was off the coast, I didn't because I hadn't heard of any diving up there. I went to HSU, and am familiar with Patrick's Point and Trinidad. Diving up north may give me yet another reason to go visit my friend :)

No, I'm from the Reding area. I used to dive Eureka when i needed an ocean fix but didn't have the time to go south. Haven't been there in several years but will make a better effort this year. Things are on track for more diving and that's good!

Back
Top Bottom