diving Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have booked our airfare to FLL and are psyched for the trip. One question though, if we are going to dive Nitrox for the week, do the dive boats have an O2 analyzer at the boats? (We are planning to dive with 2 different dive ops and they said they can get the tanks for us) How do the dive ops down in Pompano/Boca/Delray area work this? This will be our first trip using Nitrox so sorry if this is a dumb question.

robint

Have you asked the dive ops you'll be using? You can't assume anything from what ops "in an area" do.

It's not a dumb question.

If you can't see the tank analyzed with your own eyes, don't use it.

While it's almost always just fine, every now and then, someone will screw up and a tank could contain any mix from way less than 21% up to 100%.

In fact, if the shop can't/won't analyze it or let you analyze it, go somewhere else, since it's a good sign that they're too clueless to trust your life to.

Terry

robint:
We have booked our airfare to FLL and are psyched for the trip. One question though, if we are going to dive Nitrox for the week, do the dive boats have an O2 analyzer at the boats? (We are planning to dive with 2 different dive ops and they said they can get the tanks for us) How do the dive ops down in Pompano/Boca/Delray area work this? This will be our first trip using Nitrox so sorry if this is a dumb question.

robint

Just a thought since you are in that neighborhood anyway...

You can also rent the tanks yourself from FillExpress, AL80s or any of the PST steel tanks, they'll let you analyze the tanks when you pick them up which eliminates the mystery, and every day's rental includes one fill of banked Nitrox (32%, 36%, 40%) or OCA air. $15 per tank per day. Some charters won't give you credit for using your own tanks, though, esp. if you still need weights.

The only problems are that you'd obviously need a rental car, which from my experience you'd need anyway in FLL. That and they aren't open Sundays.

Let us know which shop/charter you're using and maybe some of us locals will have an easy yes or no for you.
When I was still renting tanks, the charters I used always had an analyzer aboard and they reminded us to be certain to do so. However, that was further up here in Palm Beach County; I can't vouch for standard procedures in Ft. Lauderdale.

KBeck:
When I was still renting tanks, the charters I used always had an analyzer aboard and they reminded us to be certain to do so. However, that was further up here in Palm Beach County
NOt everyone in WPB is up to par. When I dove with A1A Palm Beach Charters last August, they didn't have an O2 analyzer. The owner seemed surprised when I wanted to analyze the nitrox he supplied.

Although I enjoyed a couple of afternoon dives, followed by 2 night dives; the combination of no O2 analyzer and a "40 minute maximum bottom time" rule (although not really enforced) was enough to put them on my "don't use again" list.

Charlie Allen

Robin - since you're planning on staying in the Boca, Deerfield, Pompano area, just rent tanks from Fill Express. Get some steels and lose some weight off your belts. Each day's rental includes the nitrox fill, and these guys are some of the rare few that I trust to get it right.
You're going to pay for the tanks one way or the other, so get full value for your money AND be reasonably assured that if the tanks says 32%, you're getting 32%.
Plus you'll have a larger capacity tank instead of an rental aluminum 80 so you can max out the bottom time.
Since my diving requires using the millimeter for depth determination accuracy instead of the foot, I demand gas accuracy to the nearest .01, and they provide it.
Well, I'm really not that anal about the depth, but I like to keep them on their toes in the shop.

Tom Winters:
Robin - since you're planning on staying in the Boca, Deerfield, Pompano area, just rent tanks from Fill Express. Get some steels and lose some weight off your belts. Each day's rental includes the nitrox fill, and these guys are some of the rare few that I trust to get it right.
You're going to pay for the tanks one way or the other, so get full value for your money AND be reasonably assured that if the tanks says 32%, you're getting 32%.
Plus you'll have a larger capacity tank instead of an rental aluminum 80 so you can max out the bottom time.
Since my diving requires using the millimeter for depth determination accuracy instead of the foot, I demand gas accuracy to the nearest .01, and they provide it.
Well, I'm really not that anal about the depth, but I like to keep them on their toes in the shop.

thanks, I think we may end up getting tanks at Fill Express or one of the dive shops in the area every day since NOT ONE of the dive ops I e-mailed has responded back to me about having an O2 analyzer.

robint

Charlie99:
NOt everyone in WPB is up to par. When I dove with A1A Palm Beach Charters last August, they didn't have an O2 analyzer. The owner seemed surprised when I wanted to analyze the nitrox he supplied.

Although I enjoyed a couple of afternoon dives, followed by 2 night dives; the combination of no O2 analyzer and a "40 minute maximum bottom time" rule (although not really enforced) was enough to put them on my "don't use again" list.

Charlie Allen

Charlie,

I hate to hear you had a bad experience out with us. I'm shocked that you weren't promptly given our O2 analyzer upon request. Captain Mike runs an extermely safe boat op. Our goal is to make sure each diver has a fantastic and safe dive. I think it's a bit unfair to chastise an operation for lack of bottom time without giving the specifics of the dive (i.e. depth, certification level, group size, air or nitrox being used and such). I've heard many great things about your diving ability, so your opinion is valued and trusted. I can not say how things were before I started working for A1A Palm Beach Dive Charter, but I can assure you, things do not run the way you indicated now.

I hope you will consider giving us another shot.

Sincerely,
Vickie

A1A Palm Beach Dive Charter

baitedstorm:
I hate to hear you had a bad experience out with us. I'm shocked that you weren't promptly given our O2 analyzer upon request.
I didn't say I had a bad experience. I was a last minute walkaboard for a couple of wonderful afternoon dives. Obviously, I enjoyed the dives, otherwise I wouldn't have accepted the invite to go on the night dive. I was just surprised about the lack of O2 analyzer at the boat or dock. Captain Mike's attitude was "I mixed it and tested it. Trust me." I politely (and privately) informed him that I considered that unacceptable. I'm glad he's decided to have one at the dock shack or boat now.

My comment about bottom time was because the briefing included a statement that the dive plan was for a 40 minute maximum bottom time. I mistakely assumed that was a standard boat policy. As it turned out, the 4 UK divers that were going to be going with me and DM Mark didn't get down in time, couldn't catch up and aborted the dive. They did the 2nd dive with an instructor that had 2 students onboard that day. Mark and I had actual bottom time of 49 minutes. 60' max, "The Breakers South" (I assume inside ledge). 3200-1000psi on an AL80. 2nd dive was The Breakers, 71' 51 minutes.

I suspect you were onboard last August 8th, because my logbook reads : "Capt Mike, DM Mark, Mate Victoria." Some other interesting notes I have on the dive were "water condition: flat to 4' wave to flat as thunderstorm came through during dive 1. 10' nurse shark. Dolphins on surface during ride back." The night dive highlights includes catching a large lobster that I gave to Mark (He estimated 3# tail). Also a tiger sea cucumber about 2"x6-8", and some small squid.

All in all, a very enjoyable trip. OTOH, there are other fine boats both at WPB, and just to the south of you in Lantana and Boynton Beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom