Diving @ Newport Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msedivingdoc

Reaction score
Reciently I inquired into helping out at the Newport Aquarium. I was told that in order to dive there I'd have to own a MARES wetsuit! Since Mares sponsers them this is the way it is. What I'm wondering is if there is anyone willing to let me borrow a Mares suit so I can have some fun in the aquarium. Also has anyone dove there? Is it worth it?

I would LOVE to dive there! I inquired about it...the way it reads on their website, you just have to be OW certified. But when I got the registration stuff in the mail, it says you have to have your AOW and submit a dive resume. I'm still in the process of trying to finish my AOW, so I'm on hold for now.

Sometimes Divers Direct has cheap Mares wetsuits. www.diversdirect.com

I ordered a nice looking one last summer, but it was too small, and they sold out of my size. It was only about $60 for a 3mm.

Let me know what other info. you find out on the Aquarium...

I'm not sure about "owning" a Mares wetsuit. I know that the volunteer divers are required to wear all Mares equipment that the aquarium owns to prevent cross contamination from personal gear. I know someone who works there so I can find out the policies for sure if you give me a day or 2.

Rachel

I was told by one of the volunteers that you had to buy a wetsuit through the Aquarium, but it is at cost. Not a bad deal, if you need a new wetsuit. I think the only personal gear that you can use is your mask. I have the application in hand, but I haven't filled it out yet. Would love to hear more details from an actual NA diver or former diver.

msedivingdoc once bubbled...
Reciently I inquired into helping out at the Newport Aquarium. I was told that in order to dive there I'd have to own a MARES wetsuit! Since Mares sponsers them this is the way it is. What I'm wondering is if there is anyone willing to let me borrow a Mares suit so I can have some fun in the aquarium. Also has anyone dove there? Is it worth it?

I just got my volunteer packet yesterday. I've been wanting to do it for a while and I am confident that I will finally have enough time to do it now.

I have heard from a few people I know that the local dive shop who sponsors the aquarium will sell you the wetsuit at a discout to use in the aquarium (this is all hearsay.) I was in Cinci last night for a concert but I did not get a chance to stop by the store.

...and testing process to volunteer at the aquarium and passed, but it's too far for me to drive now and too much of my time is spent teaching.

To become a volunteer diver, you take a written test (much like any agency's final OW exam) at the local dive shop that sponsors much of the work at the aquarium. Then the dive shop staff takes you to a YMCA for a buoyancy test. You go through an obstacle course to prove that you aren't going to destroy the exhibits with poor control. If you pass the written test and the pool test, you then go through standard volunteer orientation at the aquarium over a series of nights. It's comprehensive, covering all exhibits, etc. and you must be willing to volunteer in most all areas of the aquarium, not just diving. Once you are through the training, you get started.

And as some previous posts have said, you MUST buy a Mares wetsuit through the aquarium and the dive shop (at cost). Your wetsuit and all other Mares gear (which they supply) is kept at the aquarium and goes through a regular cleaning process. You can't take it with you or use it for diving outside of the aquarium. This helps reduce the liklihood of contamination of the exhibits.

It's not too tough to get into the program, and it seems like fun. Places like the aquarium are almost always in need of assistance, so I hope you will go through with it. I wish I had more free time so I could join in.

Safe diving.

In case anyone is wondering...I found out from Biscuit7 that you DO have to have your AOW, and you DO NOT have to buy a wetsuit. All the Mares equipment is provided for you; you cannot use your own gear with the exception of maybe a mask.

Any aquarium divers out there? I have heard that you don't have to do the 6month dry volunteer time anymore. Are they getting short of divers? What are the time requirements these days? Is it possible for a weekend/evening diver to get some time in the tanks? I have an application, but I haven't filled it out, yet.

THanks,

Contact Jen at Scuba Unlimited. She's the liasion between the shop and the AQ. She also sets up the watermanship test as well.

Some of the exhibits are rather snug and you need good skills to navigate about them. One in particular has a tight entry area and you've got to go in just so or you damage the displays. I put a hole in MY wetsuit getting hung up on the platform....didn't hurt the exhibit, but I got a nice hole in my wetsuit.

I did the volunteer thing for them when the AQ first opened. At that time they were using only shop staff until the volunteer program was up and running. It was worth it the first few times just to see how things work, but it kinda got old in a hurry for me. I'm no longer with that shop, but Jen is still the liasion.

Just my 2 cents.

msedivingdoc:

Rental? find a shop that rents Mares wetsuits? heheh. Night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom