Diving near Winter Park, CO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyDiveLog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in Winter Park, Colorado from 7/26 - 7/29 for a family reunion. The family is going off horseback riding one day, which presents the perfect chance for me to duck out for some local diving. Can anyone give me some guidance on the possibilities?

I'm a NAUI and SDI insructor, although I've never done any high altitude diving.

To bad you will only be there during week days. I would have run up the mountain and joined you. I have not dived Grand Lake, which is in the same valley as Winter Park but I heard you could. I did a search and came up with this:

Name/Location: Grand Lake
City/State: Grand Lake, CO
Phone: ?
Description: Lake
Max. Depth: 270' (estimated)
Visibility: 0' - 30'
Water Temperature: 40° F - 60° F (Spring/Summer) (Ice in Winter.)
Access: Boat or shore or dock. At the East Portal, you have to climb down the rocks. This can be difficult.
Facilities: There is a picnic area and outhouse by the East Portal. The Marina offers a boat ramp and restrooms. You can also rent small recreational boats there.
Dive Shop(s): None nearby.
Fee(s): None
Night Diving: Yes. Also, night diving at the marina.
Elevation: 8,500'
Comments: There is a wall to dive at the East Portal, about 100 yards off shore. There's a nice sand slope if you are diving off of the marina. Night dives only at the marina. There you can find objects including bottles and engines. Visibility is best in early Spring, worst in August, due to algae growth.
Directions: Grand Lake is 105 miles northwest of Denver on US 34. For city-to-city directions, check CyberRouter.
Weather/Forecast: Grand Lake, CO (Weather Underground)

Back
Top Bottom