Diving near Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darthsquad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

My wife and I are staying near Tampa for the week. We went out with 2Sheas, yesterday. It was great. We've dove Blue Grotto last year. I'm not really interested in devils den, as I'm from. the Midwest and do a lot of similar fresh water dives. Any other recommendations for diving in the area? We were thinking about the drift dive in Rainbow River. Anyone done it? what do you think? We dive 20 hrs to get here. I know there are cool places on the east cost, but I don't want to drive 4+ hours this trip. Thanks in advance for recommendations.

There is always Meg shark tooth diving just south of Tampa.
You can do it from shore in Venice, but a boat trip will yield much better results. And you will have something to take home and show your friends and tell them you are now both "Shark Dentists"

The 2 best boats are:

I've done Rainbow River. Rainbow River is a fun easy drift dive. You must have a surface marker with your party as there are boats on the river. The water taxi takes you upriver and you drift back to KP Hole park. There are a bunch of places where water bubbles in from below.

Fun, lazy dive. You can probably do it twice on a tank of air. The river is spring water, plan on 74 degrees and I recommend wearing a wetsuit or sharkskin as neoprene doesn't taste good to gators.

Mac's Sports in Clearwater has a guided Rainbow River dive this weekend. There are a couple of dive shops further north that also run this trip like Birds Underwater.

Venice shark tooth dive is fun too. I'd probably do Rainbow River over the shark tooth diving.

If you're in the Tampa area and already did a boat dive, I'd say there are two big options (which folks have already mentioned!):

Option 1: Shark tooth hunting. Drop down to Venice and go looking for megs and other fossil shark teeth. I love Aquanutz but they tend to book up fast - it's a three-tank charter, and they let you dive your tank all way the down to 500psi. In thirty feet of water. I was down seven hours underwater this week with them, love that they let you do that - we left the dock at 8am and didn't return until 6pm. Found one big partial 3/4 meg, and tons of little teeth, a little less than normal.

Option 2: Freshwater springs/caverns. There are three main "types" of freshwater springs diving in Florida: open water basins, caverns, and river/drift. There's a good map here. If you liked Blue Grotto, and want to check out other open-water safe caverns, head over to Paradise Springs (requires AOW; $30 cash only) or Ginnie Springs. You already said you weren't interested in Devil's Den - the underground entrance is fun, and the swim-throughs there are a LOT of fun, but if you aren't into swim-throughs, you might give that one a pass. Try to avoid all those places on the weekends if you can.

Fun open-water basins include Manatee Springs, Fanning (very shallow, I'd prob skip that one), and Orange Grove Sink (kinda far for you, and vis right now isn't the best) - all state parks, so very low cost. Unfortunately many of our good open water sites are still flooded (Troy, Royal) from winter rains.

And finally there's the river/drift diving. The Sante Fe is low and clear enough right now that you can do a nice short (~10-15 minute) drift from Devil's Run down to the ballroom; be sure to bring a dive flag if you do that. And of course there is Rainbow. If you want to do Rainbow, the cheapest way is to use the Rainbow River Water Taxi. Give him a call ahead of time to confirm that he is available for the dates and time requested, and he can give you his current prices. You will drive to KP Hole, meet him on the pontoon boat at the dock, and he will ferry you upstream and drop you for about a 45-90 minute drift (depending how fast you swim). You exit at KP Hole where you boarded the boat.

If you don't want to arrange the taxi yourself, you can also book a guided dive with one of the operations that brings their own boat (Bird's Underwater and American Pro Diving both run trips with their own pontoon boats out there). In that case, you usually meet them at the shop and go from there, they will have everything arranged.

You have a buddy (which is great; almost all the freshwater springs require them), but it's pretty easy to hire a local guide around here for guided tours, and we are blessed by a large number of great dive shops where you can rent tanks, gear, etc.

Option 3: Scalloping! Okay, this isn't scuba diving, but it's really fun and the season just opened. It's all on snorkel in about 3-5' of water. You go out in the gulf and collect Bay scallops - there's a limit per person and per boat. It's great fun, esp if you like seafood (you get to keep and eat the scallops; there are also places that will "cook your catch" if you don't have a kitchen where you're staying). I like Bird's Underwater for scalloping trips personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom