Diving near orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwndeep

Registered
Reaction score
i go to school in orlando and i am looking to do some diving what is my best bet with about a 2 hr drive. i am interested in ocean dives on either coast. just wanted everyones opinion on good dive boats.. thanks

Hmmm.. you've got a few choices. Everything from Crystal River on the FL West Coast to Cocoa Beach. There are some springs near by as well, such as Blue Spring up near Orange City. I believe there are some dive boats out of Bradenton area as well.

Try:

West Palm
Jupiter
Boynton Beach

All are 2- 2 1/2 hours away

If you want variety there is also New Smyrna Beach, kind of like the gulf without a rediculous boat ride. The springs are fun as are the drifts off the SE. The gulf shore diving is about 2-2.5 hours to Bradenton or Venice (but a bit chilly right now). Where have you been so far, what are you looking to do? From what i see you spearfish (at least according to your equipment list), NSB is good for that as is the gulf.

dwndeep:
i go to school in orlando and i am looking to do some diving what is my best bet with about a 2 hr drive. i am interested in ocean dives on either coast. just wanted everyones opinion on good dive boats.. thanks

Uhhhh, ocean dives are only available on the East coast.:wink: I hesitate to discuss which dive boats are the best, but I certainly can shed some light on which of them employ wise-a$$es! I think the 2 hr drive limits you to north of Jupiter though. The diving changes quite a bit once you hit West Palm. Many feel that the difference merits the extra travel. Some even feel the need to creep just a teensy bit farther south.

Kev, so well said! And you are right, I bet you could shed light on who employs the smarta$$s! LOL

Dwndeep, taking the time to go south is worth the lost sleep! Beach diving is awesome in Ft. Lauderdale (as well as cheap!!)

Scuba_Jenny:
Dwndeep, taking the time to go south is worth the lost sleep! Beach diving is awesome in Ft. Lauderdale (as well as cheap!!)
As if, you just want more house guests :wink:

BTW, Dwndeep, it seems like most weekends i travel a good 2 hours or more to dive, usually if its that far (3+) i will try to stay overnight with one of these weird folks who seem to come to this subforum! Its not uncommon, we are equidistant from loads of good diving, but not that much directly on our doorstep.

i would like to do some spearfishig if available but i really just want to get out and dive it has been a while since i have last dove. i am really looking for a 2 or 3 tank day trip on a dive boat. i was thinking about trying to jupiter area or ft. lauerdale/west palm area.

Jupiter has a few good boats to ride one, one of which employs an afore mentioned smart alec above (Splash Down Divers). I believe that said operation is spear friendly and a very well run operation. The Diversity in Deerfield is also spear friendly and a most excellently run op. Lastly, there is Dixie Divers.. I don't have experience with them but through trusted dive buddies it was made clear that this op has a nice, clean, well run boat.

CBulla:
Jupiter has a few good boats to ride one, one of which employs an afore mentioned smart alec above (Splash Down Divers).
Splashdown is in Boynton Beach, another hour or so south of Jupiter :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom