Diving Near New York Harbor: Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BionicBigfoot1970

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, this is my first post.

I am not certified, and have only made a dive once, many years ago, in a swimming pool. I'm considering getting into diving. I do have a question about acessability. I looked at some charts, and the "Rules of the Road" for boating, but have not come up with anything.

From the continental shelf in-sea to New York Harbor, there are "shipping lanes" separated by "separation zones" (I think that's what they're called). It seems that in the "separation zones", people can remain stationary in a boat. However, it seems that a large vessel might still intrude on this territory. Is this the case?

Also, most of the area is shipping lane. Are these areas always off limits? Are they open during certain hours? Certain days?

I know that much of this is too deep for diving, even for an experienced diver. It's more of a question out of curiosity. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom