Diving midland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey UK divers...

I'll be over in London and Leister (sp?) in mid august but undecided if I should bring my SCUBA stuff... is there any place to dive in and around those areas??? What are the temps like in mid august??? Still not sure as to what I will do as I may go see a friend of mine in Denmark but if I don't it would be cool to dive up there...

Thanks!!!

Leicester is home to Stoney Cove an inland diving site. I wouldn't bother to drag kit very far to dive it!! Used mainly for training and as such overcrowded. Some days its worth a trip if nowhere else to go.
London is near South Coast and some reasonable diving. Try Brighton, Newhaven and Littlehampton at that time of year. Sea temp maybe 16-18?
Do you intend to rent a car? If so then all South Coast is in range. Weymouth has some good dives.
Denmark sounds good though...
Chris

however, if you can get to Stoney mid week (Mon-Fri!) I hear it is pretty deserted...

Would second the advise to get down to the south coast though - or even the NE coast, the Farnes or the like.

I haven't looked at a map of the UK for a while but I think you'll find that Leicester is about as far from the coast as you can get in the UK! But for some bizarre reason I seem to remember that nowhere is more than about 80 miles!!

Thanks guys...
Not sure how much time I have over there so I'll see what the flight plans and family plans are... hopefully I'll be able to squeeze on in somewhere...

I think (and I could be wrong) that Sheffield is the furthest point from the sea. I lived and worked there for a year and didn't much get to dive. A girlfriend at the time was a keen cyclist and did the 'Sheffield coast to coast' most weekends. That meant getting on a train to Liverpool and cycling home then cycling to Hull and getting a train back - one day each leg. If I remember right it is about 80 odd miles each leg so you could be right!! She had some muscles - but that is not for you, gentle reader, to know...
Time though, to come back to Scuba, is the issue as the traffic is terrible. Not sure you would get an individual place on Farnes or the like. For sure on South Coast dives, but that depends on which part of London. North (e.g Islington) is a good three hours to Brighton...
I'd sure try to make some time though. UK diving is really good when its good - some of the best in the world. (If you like wrecks). Mid summer is good time. BOOK EARLY.

Chris

Thanks for the info chrisch... about the diving that is :wink:

Still have to see what the family plans are and how long I am staying for... what about wreck depths? Since I am just a lowly OW diver would there be any place in particular better for just OW certified? Also, do I have to checkin with BSAC (sp?) and get a cert from them to dive in the UK or is my PADI c-card good enough? Of course I would bring my log book too...

Thanks again for the info everyone!!!

PADI is just as good as a BSAC qualification here - I would bring your log book too just incase you get a good centre that are actually interested in your welfare though!!

Have a look at http://www.witteringdivers.co.uk they are south coast and do some <18m dives (PADI OW) notably on the concrete structures used in WW2 to make artificial harbours (mulberrys). I have done some training with them (but not diving I must admit). Last time I spoke they didn't bite!!
Scubababy is right PADI is the #1 training agency in UK. BSAC will let you dive with them as a "guest" on PADI OW, but they are not a commercial thing and you need to approach individual clubs. A bit of a pain if on hols.
Chris

Try Divemaster Scuba, www.divemasterscuba.com or if that link doesn't work www.sheffield.ukco.com . The man who owns these has two. One in Nottingham and one in Stavely (near chesterfield) they're both really good shops and I got my qualifications there (yes they are the kind what will sit around and chat with you). Also you might want to try Capernway try their website on this link www.dive-site.co.uk as far as I'm concerned its one of the best inland diving sites in the UK it also has its own club for gear rental. I'm just coming out with loads of links here. You also might want to try www.ukdivers.net .

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom