Diving Metridium Fields

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njk

Reaction score
Hey guys!

My buddy and I typically dive the northern california coast. But this weekend or next weekend we are going to Monterey for some diving. We've dived in Monterey area several times before. This time we would like to see the Metridium Fields at breakwater that we've heard so much about.

We want to avoid the surface long surface swim out there as much as possible. So the plan is to drop down early and follow the pipe out to the fields. I've also heard that there can be some interesting stuff along the pipe as well. Can anyone give me directions on how to find the pipe and how to find the fields from the end of the pipe? Line-ups, headings, what to do if we don't drop on the pipe (or just plain can't find it) would be very helpful.

I've tried searching for some specific directions here on this board, but I think I'm using the wrong keywords. I either come up with nothing or I am overwhelmed with hits. Figured it'd just be easier to ask since you guys could probably tell me quicker that I can search for it.

We were just there yesterday. The way we usually do it is, we go down the steps at the breakwater, and go in a straight line from the steps to the water (sort of diagonal across the beach) and just keep following that line until we get about 10 feet of water under us, then drop and continue on the same heading, 320 or 330 (it's that flexible). Keep going that wayy and you pretty well can't miss the pipe. You'll pass some rock piles and a smaller pipe or two, but the one you want is obvious because of its size. It heads pretty much straight north. Turn right and follow the pipe to the end, then zig about 30-45 degrees to the left. The Metridium rocks aren't too far away. In good viz like we had yesterday, you can actually see them.

To get back, I like to take a reciprocal heading from the pipe direction, i.e. south, for a few minutes, then turn left and that brings us back to the pipe.

And yes, the pipe is covered with life and so are the various rock formations along it. In fact, it took us 3 tries to get to the Metridium fields the first time, because we found so much interesting stuff on and along the pipe that we used up all our air and bottom time before we ever got to the end of the pipe. About halfway out, watch out on the sand for a big field of tube-dwelling anemones, because you'll usually find some giant nudibranchs out there as well, feeding on the anemones. It's quite a spectacular sight.

Have fun!

I believe the pipe extends straight out of the pump house on the western end of San Carlos beach (the breakwater). So if you line yourself up with the pump house so you can only see the front face of it (you should also be lined up with Reeside Ave., perpendicular to Lighthouse) and swim straight out, you'll be swimming right above and along the pipe.

As you're swimming, to the east you should be able to make out the bathrooms on the breakwater pier. Once you can only see the left (westward) wall of the bathroom (and assuming you can still only see the front wall of the pump house), you're right above or within 10 kicks south of the metridium fields. Depth at that point should be about 40-45fsw.

So if you want to cut down the surface swim, line yourself up with the pump house, kick out a bit, and drop before you're also lined up with the west wall of the bathroom. The pipe should be nearby, and you can follow it north until it stops, at which point you keep going north for a minute or two.

So I havent read all the replies (short on time) but I want to give you my take.

Depending on how your air consumption is if you take the pipe you may not have very much air time in the fields for an underwater swim back. Keeping in mind that the fields are in roughly 60 fsw so your air will go faster.

That being said, the pipe goes out at 30 degrees from the pump house, which is the smaller grey building next to the bathrooms on the left side of the beach. (looking at the ocean) If you swim to the end of the pipe and then go north (0 degrees) for about 40-70 feet you should hit the first rock pile. Reverse that for the return.

I prefer to swim out on the surface so I have longer at the fields and then swim back underwater. To do that swim out and line up with reedside in front of you (the street between san carlos beach and MBDC). On your right (facing shore) you want to be lined up with the white rocks out in front of the Aquarium (its a long swim so dont stop short). The Bathrooms on the pier should be at around 180 degrees from you when you get there. Take a heading for shore, and for simplicity sake you should just head back at that. There is several rock piles and other such stuff you will run across. If you feel like finding the pipe you can do that too but keep an eye on your air.

I followed the big pipe all the way in once, and I ended up closer to Hidden beach (near the hotel) and definitely NOT near the pump house. The kelp there is always thick, so I'd be less inclined to try swimming out from there.

If you're at the pump house, take a heading that will bisect the line, then find the pipe. IIRC, 330 will get you there.

I usually do the surface swim to the Metridiums, then drop down using Reeside as the line-up.

Everyone seems to have their own little trick for finding the pipe. Here's mine. I swim out lined up with Reeside, and drop in around 30 feet. Then I head north until I hit the pipe. This isn't the heading that will get you to the pipe quickest, but you will hit it. If you drop and are much deeper than 30 feet (much further out), you could possibly miss the pipe, but you'd still end up at the metridium field. If you drop much deeper, you can always err to the west to guarantee hitting the pipe.

The pipe is a really big target, so you can err substantially from any one set of directions and still find it. You don't have hit it at any particular spot or within 10 kicks of dropping. You just have to hit it. Once I get to the end of the pipe, I follow the same heading as the pipe (NNE-ish) until I hit the first big metridium rock.

I think the pipe itself is a very nice dive for looking at little critters.

Everyone seems to have their own little trick for finding the pipe. Here's mine. I swim out lined up with Reeside, and drop in around 30 feet. Then I head north until I hit the pipe. This isn't the heading that will get you to the pipe quickest, but you will hit it. If you drop and are much deeper than 30 feet (much further out), you could possibly miss the pipe, but you'd still end up at the metridium field. If you drop much deeper, you can always err to the west to guarantee hitting the pipe.

The pipe is a really big target, so you can err substantially from any one set of directions and still find it. You don't have hit it at any particular spot or within 10 kicks of dropping. You just have to hit it. Once I get to the end of the pipe, I follow the same heading as the pipe (NNE-ish) until I hit the first big metridium rock.

I think the pipe itself is a very nice dive for looking at little critters.

It should be noted too that its a BIG pipe. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 inches in diameter. There are also several smaller pipes but they are not the ones you want. I also know that there are smaller ones before the big pipe, but im not sure how the post big pipe landscape is, as I have not explored that far.

I think it's a 36 inch pipe, versus all the other 12 inch pipes out there.

Beyond the big pipe, there are many more small pipes...remember these are the old cannery pipes...meant to get fish from the ships to the cans.

I drop straight out from Backscatter's front door, with the triangular day mark at the end of the
breakwater lined up with the RotoRooter building on Del Monte. This puts me right on the
east edge of the fields. If you land in sand, a few kicks west gets you there.

Wow! indeed there are alot of tricks to get to the Metridium fields as I'm learning now. I'd have to agree with a few of the guys about following the pipe out, that in itself is a dive alone. There's just to much to see and want to see. So unfortunately the surface swim is probably the best idea for max BT.
Here's the way I was taught and it has been perfect for me every time... If you're facing the ocean, enter the beach and water from the left stairway by the bathrooms. Swim out with the pumphouse at your back. Swim out untill the GREEN roof thats past the bathrooms on your right by the boat launching area over in the main parking lot is on your right. So when you turn and face the beach, you should have the pump house in front of you and the green roof to your left. It's a long swim out but when you decend you'll be at roughly 66fsw in the back of the fields. Just drop and swim towards the beach and you'll see all the fields. Hope this and all these were helpfull.
Have fun and dive safe!

Back
Top Bottom