Diving May Damage Blood Vessels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have asked Dr. Van Craenenbroeck if she would care to join in this discussion.

She is quite a busy woman, so we'll see.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I couldn't agree more, Hashime. In general, I much prefer my science/medicine from recognized, respected, peer-reviewed journals.

What I was objecting to was your pejoratively and incorrectly terming the MedPageToday item a "press release" and your intemperate language in calling the work "...total crap."

Regards,

DocVikingo
That post is evidence I should not be on the computer during a study coma (I am in exam week, procrastinating like mad). Anyways, back to Prob. and Stats. (I really hate prob. and stats).

An interesting finding, and I would be very interested in a discussion of her study design and analysis, e.g. why not randomize air vs. nitrox use. I'd be wary of using intermediate endpoints to recommend nitrox over air, anyway.

1. This was a VERY small sample for a CV study. It needs to be repeated with a larger N.

2. This was NOT a representative sample. These were buff military divers.

3. Until such tissue level data is tied to events or lack thereof, it won't have much practical application.

I couldn't agree more. #3 should be boldfaced and in bigger font.

If you will notice, in the abstract, they gave the divers either air or 60% oxygen. Their mix of 60% oxygen is far more drastic than the popular mixes of nitrox which are 36% and 32% or just over half of what the abstract used. It makes me wonder if they would have observed any significant differences with the popular nitrox mixes.

I couldn't agree more. #3 should be boldfaced and in bigger font.

Wow, A Duke person and a UNC person agreeing on something. It happens on occasion. Now I am going to wonder which one of those hyperbaric folks you are :)

GO HEELS.

Mods...when you merge threads, can you indicate that you have done so?...makes for a better read if people understand why some of the redundancy and flow is off. I responded to a thread in general scuba discussions. Thanks.

If you will notice, in the abstract, they gave the divers either air or 60% oxygen. Their mix of 60% oxygen is far more drastic than the popular mixes of nitrox which are 36% and 32% or just over half of what the abstract used. It makes me wonder if they would have observed any significant differences with the popular nitrox mixes.
@PatW: To clarify, the 60% oxygen administration occurred in the abstract published by Brubakk et al. See DocVikingo's first post in this thread.

We don't know the nitrox mix used in Van Craenenbroeck's study. It could be 32% for all we know.

Wow, A Duke person and a UNC person agreeing on something. It happens on occasion. Now I am going to wonder which one of those hyperbaric folks you are :)

Hey, when you're right you're right! We've spoken on the phone once.

GO HEELS.

Heels? Is that a team or something?

Hey, when you're right you're right! We've spoken on the phone once.

Heels? Is that a team or something?

You talk a lot of smack for a team which bit it so early in the NCAA tourney pal. And we are getting our secret weapon back. :D

How the heck did you connect my screenname to my real one? That's spooky.

In case anyone else was lost . . . :confused:

The endothelium is the thin layer of cells that lines the interior surface of blood vessels, forming an interface between circulating blood in the lumen and the rest of the vessel wall. These cells are called endothelial cells. Endothelial cells line the entire circulatory system, from the heart to the smallest capillary. These cells reduce turbulence of the flow of blood, allowing the fluid to be pumped farther.

Endothelial tissue is a specialized type of epithelium tissue (one of the four types of biological tissue in animals). More specifically, it is simple squamous epithelium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom