Diving Keys or Pennecamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aliltexgal

Registered
Reaction score
Will be in South Florida middle of July. Planning on driving down to Key West for a few days. Have never dived in Florida. What is best in Keys area? Operators? Cost? We will not be bringing any equiptment.

hmmm.... well.... the diving near Key West is not all that great ... you'll probably be
best served by diving in Key Largo (upper keys) or Islamorada, Marathon (middle keys), and Big Pine Key (lower keys).

if you want to go to Key West, it'd be best to think about diving near Big Pine Key.
some nice diving there.

ok, the map just won't cooperate. here's a nice one:

http://www.islanderfloridakeys.com/images/FKY-map.jpg

The upper keys is the best. You'll also find that operators that are 20 miles apart cover different dive sites. There are more dive sites off Key Largo, and some of the best, too. You might want to decide if there are specific dives you want to make (wrecks in particular) and find an operator that covers that location.

I don't think there is a bad operator in the keys. I've dove with three, and would go back to SilentWorld my next time down. If you plan on doing a lot of dives, they are the most reasonable and they have small relatively fast boats.

Thanks for the information - great map. Maybe you can help with another question. We have no gear... lost everything (including money) in divorce. Don't mind renting BC, regulators, etc.... but would like to at least get masks and fins. We live in the middle of Iowa right now. Not exactly ripe for equiptment options. Do you know a good place to get gear when we come into area. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale and driving to Keys. So anywhere in between.

i believe the Diver's Supply right on US 1 before you leave Homestead is a great
place to look for bargains... but...

am not a local... so... hopefully some locals will chime in

I'm not a local, either, but find myself shopping Diver's Supply on every trip I make to the Keys.

H2Andy:
i believe the Diver's Supply right on US 1 before you leave Homestead is a great
place to look for bargains... but...

am not a local... so... hopefully some locals will chime in

There are more Dive Ops, and Dives Shops in the Keys than you can shake a stick at!

There is a Divers's Direct or Divers outlet (I think that is the name) at about mile marker 100, it's in a strip mall. At around Mile Marker 105 on the bay side there is another shop that I can not remember the name of (Dive was in it somewhere! :lol: ) that had very competitive prices, and had a tent sale going on with closeouts at amazing prices on all sorts of stuff that I did not need!
You will not have an issue finding gear in the Keys are good prices. You can do better on some stuff through places like ScubaToys if you know what you want. But there are discount dives shops from Jupiter to Key West!

Yes, Diver's outlet is good, too. I got a good deal on a skin and hood, last month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom