Diving Kayak recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone ever considered trying to stabilize their kayak with an outrigger. Check out this site it looks like you can make a platform for your gear and have a stable means of getting on and off the kayak. I do not have experience using this but it did look like an interesting option.

Easy Riders Outriggers for Kayaks

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Site says "Available for Easy-Rider CR Kayaks only" which are sit-in boats.

Would also make it harder to tow boat while diving, I would expect.

Has anyone ever considered trying to stabilize their kayak with an outrigger. Check out this site it looks like you can make a platform for your gear and have a stable means of getting on and off the kayak. I do not have experience using this but it did look like an interesting option.

Easy Riders Outriggers for Kayaks

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

I do not use training wheels on my bicycles and do not need such a thing on my kayaks at all.

There are differing schools of thought regarding internal vs external storage of items and opening hatches. I belong to the store it below and open the hatch as needed. Internal storage is cleaner and less likely to lose items like cameras, guns etc. if over turned. Of course my tank and wing are belted into the rear well.

The current Scrambler is the Scrambler 11 and is an excellent choice for those who prefer to bungee and belt everything down externally.

I keep my kayak scuba rigs simple even to the point of no octopus second or power BC inflator, makes doff and don in the water simple and less to secure and deal with for example.

My Scupper can carry up to 400 pounds but I am never much beyond 250 pounds including me.

N

Last edited:
The most important thing you need to look for is how much weight the kayak is rated to carry. The closer you get to that limit the harder it is to paddle and stay on course. I use an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two, though it was not intended for diving it can carry 450lbs. This is a two man kayak that has a seat in the middle so it can be paddled by one person leaving lots of room to carry equipment. It is also wider then most kayaks so it is more stable when getting back onboard. There are other manufactures who make similar types as well.

That video is a bad example of how you want to kayak dive. Biggest problem is not having your paddle attached to anything, you should have a paddle leash attached at all times. You do not want to get back to your kayak and find the paddle gone that will make for a long hard swim back to the beach. You want to get as much done while you are still on the kayak as possible not while you are in the water. You want to hang your tank over the side and put the rest of your gear on before jumping in. This includes having your mask either on your face or around your neck, NEVER around the top of your head. That goes for any type of dive, one wave and it is gone not to mention it is about the same as having the word amateur tattooed on your forehead. There also looks like there is a quick disconnect for his air supply, always a bad idea, your air supply is the LAST thing you want to quickly disconnect from. There are also issues with the way the kayak is set up but it is a rental so his choices there were limited. You want everything attached at all times so your kayak should be set up in a way to make that as easy and balanced as possible.

I would think the way the tank was secured was also quite inadequate. It looked to me like those thin bungee cords wouldn't have a chance to secure the tanks if that kayak were to flip over. IMO

These guys in the video are in the La Jolla shores dive site, I normally kick out to the kelp beds ( the marine room) not a far kick out. There really isn't a need for the kayak for that close of a shore dive. Unless you are trying to get to other kelp beds further west from the marine room.

Yes the thin bungees look useless but it was a rental and not set up for diving. You want everything secure enough that if the kayak turns over the only thing that falls out is you. Even then if you are using a paddle leash and don't let go of the paddle you will still be attached to the kayak.

Just to close this loop, I bought a 1-yr old used Scrambler 11 from the kayak rental place down the road from me. I also bought a hatch kit to put in it, so I'll have secure storage for bigger pieces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom