Diving Kauai late November? Dive op suggestion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading to Kauai in late November. I've dove Kona, and Maui a dozen times. I'm not looking for a glorified snorkel trip and would like some more adventurous diving. I want to get to Niihau if at all possible. We are staying near Lihue. Any suggestions for a good dive op or guides on the island?

Fathom Five is my fav., both for shore and boat diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

You're probably too late for Ni'ihau, operations there generally shut down around late September.
Ni’ihau trips are scheduled on Tuesdays and Fridays during the normally calmer time of year, which runs from late spring to early autumn.

The only boat operators on Kauai afaik are Fathom Five, Seasport Divers or Bubbles Below.

Of the three the only one that could chance Niihau that late could be BB - they're out of Port Allen.
The distance between islands is 17 miles and is consistently do-able May thru Sept/October. However, there are “Weather Windows” throughout the remaining months. We offer the service of watching those ‘windows’ of opportunity and are now offering the trip in the “Off-Season”, my favorite being February/March when the mantas are schooling for mating and the humpback whales are numerous.

If you get on a more advanced boat with SeaSport - ask about Zack's Pocket - one of few Advanced "only" dives. Brennecke's, Fast Lanes or Ice Box are Intermediate/Advanced also. Ahukini was recently closed to divers from what I've read - if not it's your closest shore dive. Seasport has a shop in Kapaa for tanks but keeps their boats in the Poipu area as does Fathom Five. The other better than average shore dive is Koloa Landing near Poipu - Tunnels Beach on the north side closes down seasonally also due to big waves iirc.

Jeannette at Fathom Five is the go-to Tunnels guide if it's still divable. AquamanKauai here on SB also - he works for one of the shops.

I can't answer any current questions as I haven't been there in a while.

We were there during July 2013. We did several shore dives at Koloa Landing. SeaSport Divers' shop isn't very far for tanks and weights. The dive offers a lot to see. We normally did 2 dives there and always found something interesting to see. We went out on Fathom Five's boat twice. Their DM was very good. We did one dive around 80 feet and the rest were 50-60 feet. I don't think any of the dives would be considered advanced though.

The most difficult dive we did was at Anini beach. This is on the northern part of the island. It's a very long swim out to the edge of the reef (1/2 to 3/4 mile). Then it drops almost straight down. We saw a couple of eagle rays, some turtles and different corals. In the past we have seen sharks at the edge of the reef, but not this time.

kauai has five boat operators check with kauai down under they have alot of adventurous dives they do and technical

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom